Back in the day, tacos used to be available in beef or chicken. That was your choice and if you went to the right restaurant, that was enough. One beef and one chicken please.
Now the choice of tacos has grown like crazy, with influence and flavors from all around the world. This makes sense to me because the taco is such a versatile thing to eat. Anything that can be held in one hand is a perfect vehicle to deliver lunch, dinner or even breakfast!
For my pork tacos I used HORMEL® Taco Meats Shredded Pork and my inspiration came from some great Asian style tacos from our many taco trucks here in Los Angeles. The shredded pork is already pre-seasoned and packed with great flavor, 100% all natural and easy to prepare. In fact all you have to do is heat it in a pan and you could easily have dinner ready in less than 15 minutes! I know with sports and after school activities, this is pretty handy to have as an option.
I topped my shredded pork tacos with an Asian style red cabbage slaw and added some toasted cashews for extra crunch. I always love some sort of sauce on my tacos and using hoisin was a nice change from my regular red or green salsa. Don’t forget to char your tortillas over a gas burner or grill because the flavor and texture changes dramatically from when you just pull them out of the bag. It only takes a second and you’ve already saved so much time by using HORMEL® Taco Meats for dinner, there should be no excuses not to reach your #TacoGoals!
The kind folks at Hormel Foods have given me a #TacoGoals package full of awesome surprises (see below) to pass onto one lucky reader. All you have to do is leave me a comment below telling me what your perfect #TacoGoals are.
Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. One winner will be chosen at random and must contact me within 24 hours or another winner will be chosen. Giveaway will end 4/29/16 at 10pm PST.
This post was sponsored by HORMEL® Taco Meats. Compensation was provided and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Shredded Pork Taco with Hoisin and Asian Slaw
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup snap peas sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 package HORMEL® Taco Meats Shredded Pork 12oz
- 1 package small tortillas corn or flour
- 1 cup Hoisin sauce
- 1 cup toasted cashew nuts roughly chopped
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnishing
- In a bowl combine the red cabbage and snap peas.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar and black pepper.
- Add some of the dressing to the cabbage and toss well. Taste and add more dressing if desired.
- Heat the shredded pork in a pan until hot stirring frequently.
- Carefully char the tortillas over a gas flame using tongs to flip them over.
- Place the tortillas flat on a plate.
- Spoon some of the red cabbage slaw onto the tortilla.
- Place some shredded pork alongside the cabbage.
- Drizzle some of the Hoisin sauce over the filling.
- Top the taco with some chopped cashew nuts and fresh cilantro.
- Serve at once.