Roasted potatoes with garlic and salty Pancetta ham! Make sure these potatoes are on your Thanksgiving table this year.
I’m trying to hold on to the last rays of summer, but things are changing. Quinn went back to school today and Miranda will enter third grade next week (checks in the mirror for new aging lines) We had a busy summer with trips to Hawaii, Canada, Alaska, and Utah. I even managed to accomplish some things I never thought I’d do, like fly in a seaplane and go river rafting- I suck at swimming so this one made me nervous even though I was wearing a life jacket and the water was only about three feet deep.
But no matter how much I try to delay fall, even with 90-degree temps in Southern California I can’t hide the lurking pumpkin feeling that grabs every blogger around this time of the year. Already we’re seeing pumpkin cheesecakes, coffee cakes and apple recipes creeping out of the fall woodwork.
My true marker for fall though is when Starbucks start to promote their Pumpkin Spice Latte! From then it’s a slippery slope to peppermint land and Santa Claus.
Everybody needs a potato dish for those chilly fall nights and this one is really simple with oodles of flavor. Usually, I’d just use a regular white potato, like these garlic Parmesan au gratin, but these tai-colored ones caught my eye…they’re just way cooler looking and they include my favorite red potatoes!
Roasted potatoes will give you that nice crunchy edge with a softer center.
And that alone is worth the high oven heat on a 90-degree day, but throw in some smokey pancetta chunks, fresh garlic, and rosemary and you’ll be snacking on these even before they can be served. I also added a tablespoon of orange zest but the flavor wasn’t as strong as I’d have like it. I’ve increased the amount in the recipe because the orange is one of those flavors which creeps up on you and makes people do the whole raised eyebrow thing when you tell them there’s orange in the recipe! Garlic and rosemary are potato besties, but orange zest is the recipe curveball.
This post has been updated since it was published in 2013
Garlic Roasted Potatoes with Pancetta
- 2 pounds baby trii-colored potatoes mixed colors
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces pancetta
- 2 clove large garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- Zest of two small oranges
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Wash the potatoes but leave the skins on.
- Roughly chop the Pancetta into small pieces.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes about 1 1/2 inches. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, zest, pancetta, salt and pepper.
- Toss with your hands until all of the potatoes have been coated with the rest of the ingredients.
- Lay them out on the baking sheet making sure they are all the same level.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 40 minutes
- After 40 minutes, loosely move the potatoes around on the pan to ensure even cooking.
- Increase the oven to 425 degrees F and bake the potatoes for another 10 minutes.
- Serve at once .