This amazing chimichurri green sauce will kick up your steaks and chicken recipes like no other store bought sauce! It’s packed with fresh parsley, cilantro and garlic.
A good steak doesn’t need much to go with it. Sometimes a classic pepper corn sauce or bearnaise sauce is perfect, but if you’ve never had chimichurri sauce with a grilled steak, you should really try it! Chimichurri is a green herb condiment from Argentina and is made by blending flat-leaf parsley, cilantro, garlic, and red wine vinegar with extra virgin olive oil. There are of course some variations to the original recipe, it just depends on your own personal tastes. I also love to add red chili pepper flakes to my finished chimichurri sauce for an extra spicy kick to it.
Check out how easy it is to create this condiment and make a batch for the next time your fire up your grill.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
- Blending the ingredients. Place all of the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor or high speed blender.
2. Blend until the ingredients are well broken down, but don’t puree them. The chimichurri sauce should still be a little chunky.
3. Adding the olive oil. Add the olive oil and mix through the chopped herb mixture. Add some dried chili flakes if desired.
WHAT CAN I USE MY CHIMICHURRI SAUCE FOR?
- Add to grilled steaks, grilled chicken, salmon, shrimp or scallops.
- Spread on grilled bread.
- Chimichurri can also be used as a marinade.
- Add to salads as a dressing.
FAQ’S ABOUT CHIMICHURRI SAUCE
Is chimichurri like pesto?
Aside from the color not really. Pesto uses olive oil to bind it and make a paste, chimichurri incorporates the oil just to gently bring the herbs together. It’s a much looser sauce.
How is chimichurri used?
The ultra fresh sauce is used as a condiment on meats, fish, chicken and even bread and salads.
Do I need to refrigerate my chimichurri sauce?
You can keep it at room temperature for a few hours but anything longer I’d leave it in the fridge to preserve the fresh herbs for as long as possible. You can also freeze it.
What does chimichurri taste like?
The flavor is very fresh with a strong garlic taste. The red wine vinegar provides a slightly tangy after taste.