These puff pastry turnovers are filled with your favorite jam or jelly and sweet vanilla whipped cream! Top them with powdered sugar and you have the best treat for any time of the day!
I don’t think filling pastry turnovers with whipped cream is a new concept for anyone, but they definitely make me step back in time a little bit. I grew up seeing these in almost every bakery in my town and they were a serious treat at that time!
So I decided to make some and show you how easy it can be to create such an indulgent treat for the family in less than an hour.
How to make fruit filled pastry turnovers
With only a few ingredients, they’re easy to make. Frozen puff pastry sheets are cut into 4 evenly sized pieces. Usually each pack comes with two sheets of pastry so this recipe will make 8 turnovers. You’ll be able to find the frozen puff pastry where the ice cream is in your grocery store.
The variety of fruit jam is up to you. I went with blueberry and lemon curd but any flavor would work. I recommend using a thicker type of jam rather than a jelly as those tend to run more and leak from the sides of the pastry.
Folding the pastry
Once you have 8 squares of pastry, you’ll add 1 heaped tablespoon of jam to the center of the pastry square. Brush the edges of the pastry wih a pastry brush and cold water to help seal the pastry.
Fold one corner to the opposite corner to create a triangle and then press down around the edges making sure the side have been well sealed.
Filling the turnovers
Once the turnovers are baked and cooled completely, you can go ahead and slice them in half witha sharp knife, making sure to try and not cut all the way through. It’s not a big deal if you do but if they remain like a clamshell they will be easier to handle once filled.
Whip the heavy cream until stiff and using a piping bag, fill each turnover with cream. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Storing the turnovers
You can make them a day ahead without adding the cream until about an hour before you are eating them. Once filled with cream they’ll need to be kept in the fridge.
Whipped Cream Fruit Filled Turnovers
- 1 box frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/2 cup jam, divided into two flavors if you prefer
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
For the cream filling
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut both squares of pastry into 4 even pieces.
- Take each square of pastry and add 1 tbsp of each jam to the center of the pastry square.
- Repeat until all of the pastry squares have jam.
- Use a pastry brush to wet the edges of teh squares and then fold one corner of each square to teh opposite corner creatinga. traiangle.
- Place the trinagles on to your prepared baking sheet.
- Brush eah tirnover lightly with water and sprinkle some sugar on top of each turnover.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until each turnover is well puffed up and golden brown.
- Let cool completely.
- Combine the cream, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and using an electric mixer whip teh cream to firm peaks.
- Slice the cooled turnovers through the middle to create a clamshell look and then fill with cream using a piping bag for ease.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately or store in the fridge until you are ready.