I think agua fresca might be my new favorite juice. I feel like challenging myself to make all kinds of fresca this summer, Is there any fruit that can’t be fresca-d? If berries don’t make you excited check out my Cantaloupe and Kiwi Agua Fresca.
Berries are slowly creeping into the stores too which makes me happy. I’m over paying four dollars for a pack of blueberries that my boy will eat in one snack. As much as the price bugged me I love to see my kids just inhale berries so I’m not complaining, but it is nice to see the season begin and the prices drop. I even saw cherries in Costco but I was there for these amazing California strawberries.
Usually before I even begin to make a recipe for the blog, I picture in my head how it will end up looking as a photograph. My vision for this was a bright red juice and then I remembered I wanted to add blackberries. I thought for sure I’d lose that strawberry color after adding a bunch of blackberries, but I love how it ended up all deep crimson. Agua fresca is embarrassingly easy to make, all you need is some juicy ripe fruit, water and a sweetener. You could use sugar but I prefer to add some honey instead and as with all fresca, you can totally boozify it easily by blending with some ice and adding Tequila. This may have been tried earlier this morning for research purposes…It’s awesome being the boss.
Check out these other summer strawberry agua fresca!
Mom On Timeout- Strawberry Lime Agua Fresca
Crunchy Creamy Sweet- Strawberry Agua Fresca
Food 52- Strawberry and Rosemary Agua Fresca
Strawberry Agua Fresca with Blackberries
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 5 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup plus two tablespoons honey
- Cut the green leaves from the strawberries and rinse under cold water.
- Pat the strawberries dry with a paper towel.
- Place the strawberries in a blender with the blackberries.
- Add the water and blend on high until completely pureed.
- Pour some of the mixture through a sieve into a medium bowl and start to push the liquid through with a spatula.
- Discard the leftover puree and repeat the process until all of the liquid from the blender has been passed through the sieve.
- Add the honey to the strawberry mixture and whisk to dissolve.
- Taste and add more honey if desired.
- Serve at once over ice or store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use. Can be made a day ahead.