Both of my parents have always said, “I don’t like sushi.” They assume “sushi” means raw fish, eel sauce (which is delicious by the way) and other gross sounding ingredients.
But sushi is so much more than that.
Sushi is fresh vegetables. Sushi is creamy sauces blended with any meat you can dream up from steak to chicken to shrimp to crab meat. Sushi is also not just in roll-form anymore.
We happily introduce to you Spicy Crab Sushi Bake. You do not need to buy new kitchen appliances or kitchen utensils to get the great taste of sushi at home. Yes, there are a few unique ingredients that we had to purchase, but the kids loved this so much, those ingredients will be used again and again.
Don’t be afraid of the word “spicy” here either. The spice is all up to you in how much sriracha sauce you choose to use. Go with a tiny bit of spice or go all in (that’s how we do it).
Sushi at home in a 9×13 pan…enjoy!
This one reheats amazingly well in the microwave and I even found my 10-year old, Decklyn, eating it like a dip with crackers. She’s an innovator!
Spicy Crab Sushi Bake
- 24 oz. imitation crab meat
- 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- 1/3 cup
kewpie mayo(plus additional for drizzle)
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce (plus additional for drizzle)
- 2 tbsp yum yum sauce
- 2 cups cooked white rice (we used sushi rice)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 package GimMe Roasted Seaweed Snack Sea Salt
- shaved carrots (optional)
- sliced green onion (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine in a large bowl: 24 oz. imitation crab meat (chopped), 1/3 cup kewpie mayo, 4 oz softened cream cheese, 1 tbsp. sriracha, 2 tbsps yumyum sauce
- Set aside mixture
- Separately combine in a bowl: 2 cups cooked white rice, 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 2 tbsp mirin, 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Spread the cooked rice mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 pan
- Spread the crab meat mixture on top of the cooked rice in the 9×13 pan
- To your desire, drizzle yum yum sauce and sriracha sauce on the top of the crab meat mixture
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes
- Top with optional toppings: shaved carrots, sliced green onion and sesame seeds
- Serve with a few squares of GimMe Roasted Seaweed Snack
Such a fun spin on sushi!