An easy to make Southwestern Style chicken pot pie topped with light flaky biscuits and fresh cilantro.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those dishes that looks intricate, but is actually really easy to pull off.
This recipe was originally posted three years ago and it’s always shown up consistently in my top ten. I made a couple of slight tweaks to make it even more killer and reshot the dish.
I think you’ll like it.
One pan is all you need so less clean up, yay for that! Other helpful stress relieving shortcuts are,
- Buy a cooked rotisserie chicken and shred it yourself. This saves so much time!
- The biscuits on top are pre-made, so no fingers in dough for you.
- Prep the recipe ahead of time so all you need to do is throw the pan in the oven.
Like all good pot pies, start by making a roux of melted butter and flour. I like to use chicken stock for the liquid, if I was making a white sauce like i did for my Shrimp and Crab Enchiladas, I’d use whole milk for the liquid ingredient but for this, the stock is adding even more flavor. One whole shredded chicken will give you a chicken pot pie full of filling and not just sauce. Add some black beans, corn and red peppers to bulk up the rest of the pie and add some cumin and paprika to bring out that southwestern flavor.
Once the filling is done give it a good sprinkle of some awesome shredded cheddar or pepperjack if you like a touch of heat. Don’t be shy with it, you’ll love all that melted cheese!
Lastly don’t skimp on the fresh cilantro, just grab a bunch, chop it up and scatter it all over the skillet.
Boom you’re done! Simple, fast, tasty.
Southwestern Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 small whole cooked chicken, shredded
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 whole can black beans drained and rinsed, 15oz
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 can Pillsbury Grands Flaky Layers biscuits 6 biscuits,
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large 10 inch ovenproof pan melt the butter over a medium heat then add the flour.
- Whisk until slightly golden and then start adding the chicken stock whisking after each addition until smooth.
- Once all of the stock has been added, bring to a simmer and then add the shredded chicken.
- Add the bell pepper, corn, cumin, paprika and beans.
- Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Add the cheese over the mixture.
- Take the pan off the heat and lay the biscuits on top of the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle the chili powder over the biscuits along with a small amount of cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes and the biscuits are golden.
- Garnish with the fresh cilantro.