A delicious vegetarian Posole loaded with beans, hominy, and Lightlife plant-based Chorizo Sausage.
If I could take one hearty soup to a desert island with me it wouldn’t be chicken noodle or Minestrone, heck it wouldn’t even be clam chowder and I LOVE clam chowder! It would be a big jug of posole! The spicy tomato-based Mexican soup would be perfect for dinner, just me and the waves and maybe a glass of rum. Let’s get back to reality though, it’s tough to find a desert island but it’s easy to make your own posole.
I made this in my slow cooker. It took about four hours on high and could be ready to eat earlier but the longer cook time makes for a better flavor. All of the usual posole items are included like onions, paprika, garlic and of course hominy. I also added half a bottle of Mexican dark beer for extra flavor. Usually, you’ll find some kind of meat in traditional posole like pork or beef but for my vegetarian version, I used Lightlife Chorizo Smart Sausages. They’re packed with plant-protein, 14 grams in one sausage, have zero cholesterol and only 9 grams of fat! They make a great plant-based alternative to animal-based sausages and taste awesome cooked on the grill along with some caramelized onions and peppers!
You can adjust the spice level to suit your own taste. I’m a total spice lover so the hotter the better for me although I always have to remember that the rest of the family will be eating whatever I make. This slow cooker posole has a tiny kick to it but it must still be pretty mellow because my kids didn’t say anything except that they loved it.
I always make sure to have some dried red chili flakes or hot sauce on hand for my own food, so you can add some of those if you’re craving more heat.
Make sure to go heavy on the garnish. Chunks of avocado, wedges of lime and a heavy hand of fresh cilantro takes this slow cooker posole to a whole new level.
And don’t forget the remaining beer in case you haven’t drunk it already!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chorizo Posole
- 1 pack Lightlife Chorizo Smart Sausages
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes 15oz each
- 1 can pinto beans 15 oz drained
- 1 can hominy 28oz drained
- 1 cup dark beer Negra Modelo
- Switch your slow cooker to high setting
- Dice the chorizo sausages into small chunks and add to a large pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper to the sausages and stir well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes and then transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add the veggie broth, tomatoes, beans, hominy, and beer.
- Stir well and cover with the lid.
- Cook on high for about four hours, stirring every hour.
- Serve with diced avocado, cilantro and lemon wedges.