I’ve been trying to find some deep intense words to describe this crumb cake because I really want you to make it. The truth is, even after scouring through Thesaurus and closing my eyes for better concentration which turned into a 10 minute power nap (worst nap ever) I can only tell you it’s really, really, really good. This is where you have to trust me, make it and then leave a comment on how I was right and the whole world must eat this crumb cake…easy peasy!
It’s everything a crumb cake should be and lots lots more. Soft, moist and soooooo damn buttery and filled with chunks of fresh rhubarb. The crumbly topping is brown sugar, candied pecans and cardamom, I’m serious if you can’t find rhubarb just make the topping and eat that! I always follow the same base recipe for my coffee and crumb cakes and if you check out this sour cream version, you’ll see how easily it can be adapted. I’m determined to bring you loads of rhubarb recipes just like these Rhubarb White Chocolate Blondies, Kale Salad with Rhubarb and Goat Cheese and Strawberry Rhubarb Barswhile it’s in season!
Go get some rhubarb and start cooking, It’s crazy tasty!
More crumb cake to drool over!
Sally’s Baking Addiction- Super Crumb Coffee Cake
Table For Two- NY Style Crumb Muffins
Crunchy Creamy Sweet- The Best Apple Crumb Cake
Rhubarb Crumb Cake
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 oz sticks unsalted butter at room temperature 6
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb chunks cut about 1 inch in size about 2 long sticks of rhubarb
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 inch spring form pan or cake pan liberally.
- In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, pecans and cardamom and set aside.
- In another medium sized bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar until light, about 5-7 minutes on high.
- Add the egg and egg yolk and mix for about 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping down halfway through.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add half of the sour cream and half of the flour mixture to the batter and mix on low. scrape the sides of the bowl down.
- Add the rest of the sour cream and flour and mix until well combined.
- Toss the rhubarb chunks in a half cup of the brown sugar pecan mixture.
- Place half of the batter into the prepared pan and using a spatula, spread it out evenly.
- Transfer the coated rhubarb chunks on top of the batter.
- Place the remaining batter on top of the rhubarb and spread it out as evenly as possible.
- Finally sprinkle the remaining brown sugar pecan mixture over the top of the batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes and the center feels spongy when gently pushed with your finger.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.