I have two solid reasons why you should periodically go through your freezer and clean house. I did just that and found a sheet of puff pastry and a homemade chocolate chip ice cream sandwich leftover from a party!
Okay, I admit I was more excited about finding the ice cream sandwich than the pastry but who cares, it was a total win-win. Finding that pastry meant I could make something simple and quick, which is what I needed this weekend. Buying already made puff pastry is always the way to go. I remember watching huge sheets of it being made in my very first bakery job and wow…It takes a lot of time.
I decided a puff pastry squash tart would be perfect. Most recipes I’ve seen like this would have you sprinkle some cheese on the base of the dough before laying the vegetable on top. But I wanted something more creamy, so I used some garlic and herb Rondele Cheese Spread and sliced my green and yellow squash super-thin. Pre bake the puff pastry and then all you need to do is spread on that delicious creamy cheese and add the squash, drizzle with olive oil and you have a really cool appetizer or salad side!
Puff Pastry Squash Tart
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed but still cool
- 1/2 tub Rondele Garlic Herb Cheese Spread
- 1 green zucchini squash sliced into thin wedges
- 1 yellow squash sliced into thin wedges
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F.
- Roll the puff pastry out another inch wider than it already comes in the pack.
- Place the pastry into your tart pan or baking tray (if you're using a cookie sheet follow the notes)
- Press the sides of the dough against the tart pan and lightly glaze the base and sides of the dough with the beaten egg
- Place in the oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- Take the partially baked pastry out of the oven and spread the cheese onto the bottom of the tart.
- Place the sliced squash on top of the cheese alternating between green and yellow.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the top of the tart and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for another 20 minutes and the pastry has turned a deep golden brown.