Today is April Fools day but let me set your mind at rest, these Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich Cookies are 100% legit.
I just woke up (truth) and I’m already seeing loads of fake messages and posts on Facebook. To be honest, I still can’t tell if they’re April Fools related or if it’s just Facebook taunting me to click over and check out ten awesome quotes for the day or dogs surfing some waves at the beach.
So back to reality and Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich Cookies. A simple peanut butter cookie filled with a peanut butter frosting and a dollop of strawberry jam.
I wanted to use a piping bag for the buttercream but couldn’t find a nozzle to fit. I seriously need to work on my kitchen drawer tidiness because I know that nozzle exists.
I ended up just spreading the filling onto the cookies, let’s call things rustic and be done.
A dollop of strawberry jam for the J in my PB and pop another cookie on top. Already Friday is looking magnificent my friends!
No cookie would be complete without a shot of snowy powdered sugar flying through the air from a well used sieve picked up from Goodwill for 50 cents, so here it is.
Now all you have to decide upon is if you’ll squeeze the filling out and lick around the cookie or just dive right in, take a bite and hope the buttercream doesn’t land on your shoe?
Such a dillema for a Friday, but I have faith in all of you. We’re talking about cookies here people, make it happen!
How cool would be these be dipped in chocolate? I think super cool. If you do, post a picture on Instagram and slap a #foodnessgracious on it. I want to see your creations!
Have an awesome weekend friends.
Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich Cookies
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1.2 cup sugar
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Sugar for dusting
For The Buttercream
- 2/3 cups smooth peanut butter
- 2 sticks soft butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup Strawberry jam
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the peanut butter and butter until creamy.
- Add both sugars, egg and vanilla and beat until well combined. Scraped down the bowl.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Scoop tablespoon sized pieces of the dough onto your hands and roll into balls.
- Place the cookies onto the baking tray and gently press with a fork to flatten.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top of each cookie and bake in the oven for 12 minutes,
- While the cookies are cooling, make the filling.
- In the same stand mixer bowl, beat the peanut butter and softened butter.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix on low until the powdered sugar starts to mix through.
- Scrape the bowl down and then mix on high speed for about 5 minutes and the buttercream is light and fluffy.
- Take one cookie and spread some of the cream onto it .
- Drop about a heaped tablespoon of the jam onto the center of the cream.
- Place another cookie on top.
- Once all of the cookies have been filled, dust with the powdered sugar.