A super cheesy chicken enchilada pie baked in the oven with a tortilla crust!
Friends, meet your new go-to weeknight dinner stress reliever. I wasn’t sure how this was going to turn out but after some tweaks, my enchilada pie actually sliced pretty well. I thought this would have been the hardest thing to achieve but as long as you have a super sharp knife, you should be set!
But geez Gerry, why don’t you just roll up your enchiladas I can hear you saying, Well you’re right I could have done that, and I have already, right here with these completely amazing breakfast enchiladas but sometimes when you’re zombie scrolling on Facebook you see something that makes you think about recipes in a different way.
This has a crust and everything, just like a regular pie. And then layers of cheese, chicken, rice, and sauce in keeping with the enchilada idea. A slice of this with a salad and a dollop of some crazy good salsa and I’m happy.
Building your enchilada pie
Making your pie is easy, no really it’s so easy but having each layer prepped is key. I’ll be adding a video soon so you can see exactly what to do but in the meantime, follow these easy steps.
Here’s how your enchilada pie layers will stack up
- Base layer- tortillas
- More sauce
The base layer is just overlapping flour tortillas. Bake ahead just like a regular pie crust and then you can skip to the fun part! Save yourself some stress and buy an already cooked rotisserie chicken, all you need to do is shred it yourself and I usually do mine the night before.
Enchilada sauce- you can buy decent varieties at the store or if you feel like a hero, then this recipe is a winner. Once you have all of your ingredients ready it’s just a matter of building the pie.
If you don’t manage to finish your pie in one sitting, then it reheats well and tastes even better for lunch the next day!
Here are some other enchilada recipes you might like.
- Chicken enchiladas in a salsa cream sauce
- Shrimp and crab seafood enchiladas
- Sour cream chicken enchiladas
Oven Baked Chicken Enchilada Pie
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese grated
- 5 flour tortillas 8 inch size
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using three of your tortillas, lay them overlapping in a 9 inch spring form pan so that the sides are covered as much as possible.
- Press the tortillas carefully down into the bottom and sides of the pan to create the base. You can place another smaller baking pan on top of the tortillas to keep them flat and in place if it helps and bake it like that.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place about 2 cups of the shredded chicken onto the bottom of the tortillas and cover with 1/4 cup of sauce.
- Add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese on top and gently press down to compact it.
- Place another tortilla on top of the cheese followed by a 1/4 cup of sauce spread over the tortilla.
- Place your rice on top of the sauce and press down.
- Add another 2 cups chicken and 1/2 cup of sauce and press down.
- Place one more tortilla on top of the chicken and top with about 2 cus of the grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes. You can place the pie under the broiler for a few extra minutes to get that nice golden finish on the cheese.
- Let the pie stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing with a sharp knife.