A delicious and easy appetizer, lettuce wraps with Lightlife Original Smart Ground Crumbles!
This post is sponsored by Lightlife Foods.
Lettuce Wraps have been around forever, I’m used to seeing them on the menu at P.F. Chang’s and they’re pretty darn tasty not to mention super simple to put together! There’s something satisfying about eating food wrapped in lettuce leaves. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s way healthier than anything else, or that the In-N-Out protein burger is wrapped in crispy iceberg lettuce too!
With just a few ingredients you can make these at home and serve them up for dinner (I could probably eat 4 or 5) or they make a great appetizer for a summer party!
The twist with my lettuce wraps is that they’re vegetarian and I bet you’d never know! Instead of using ground beef or chicken, I made them with Lightlife’s Smart Ground Original Crumbles, which are completely plant-based.
Vegetarian, vegan and loaded with protein, Smart Ground can easily take the place of ground beef for anything from lasagna to tacos!
This way I get my daily protein boost, they’re low carb and stuffed with yellow and green zucchini as well as eggplant. It’s a total healthy win-win all around! If you haven’t tried Lightlife’s Smart Ground Original Crumbles, then what’s up with that? They’re so good, I almost like them better than regular ground beef, which is much more greasy.
The Smart Ground Original Crumbles are tossed in a light orange and soy ginger sauce and served on butter lettuce which is always the best lettuce for lettuce wraps because it rolls up so easily compared to other types of lettuce that usually break when you roll them up.
You can make your lettuce wraps as mild or as spicy as you like. The sauce is completely mild so I added some sliced red jalapeno which for the record is way hotter than a regular green jalapeno, trust me on that one! I also added shredded carrots and green onions. I kept the sauce loose enough so that the lettuce isn’t weighed down and starts to tear.
Check out these other Lightlife recipes and let me know what’s your favorite vegetarian eats!
Easy Lettuce Wraps with a Ginger Soy Sauce
- 1 orange juiced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 one inch piece of ginger grated
- 3 cups diced eggplant
- 3 cups diced yellow squash
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 pack Lightlife Smart Ground Original Crumbles
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 whole butter lettuce
- 1 carrot sliced julienne style
- 1 cup green onions sliced
- 1 diced red chili optional
- In a pan, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, cornstarch and ginger and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- In the same pan heat the olive oil until hot and add the eggplant, yellow squash, and zucchini.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and add the Lightlife Smart Ground Original Crumbles, mix well. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the sauce to the pan and gently fold it through the mixture.
- Slice the root from the butter lettuce and carefully peel of the leaves without tearing them.
- Place 6-8 lettuce leaves on a plate and spoon some of the Lightlife Smart Ground Original Crumbles mixture on top.
- Garnish with some sliced carrots and green onions. Serve at once.