Fresh homemade lasagna with Lightlife Vegetarian Sausage, three kinds of cheese and a simple pasta sauce. The best thing is that leftovers taste even better!
There’s something about a huge dish of homemade lasagna that makes me happy. Maybe it’s the rich comfort taste or how it only takes 15 minutes to prepare but whatever it is, lasagna is always a winner in my house!
And this is one recipe that I surprised my kids with.
That’s because this lasagna is meat free. It’s made with Lightlife Gimme Lean Veggie Sausage and I swear you’d never know the difference. My daughter couldn’t eat it fast enough. After she cleaned her plate I came clean and let her know that she just filled her belly with some delish cholesterol free soy protein, and she was totally cool with it!
Another reason to love this lasagna, it only takes about fifteen minutes to prepare. There’s no need to stand over the stove and stir your great great grandma’s tomato sauce recipe for hours. Pick your favorite pasta sauce and add it to the crumbles sausage meat along with some spices and you’re pretty much set.
Usually I’d make a béchamel sauce to spread between the layers of pasta, but this time I added ricotta which melted nicely making up for the lost white sauce.
Of course one kind of cheese is never enough so I threw in some mozzarella and Parmesan for extra gooey melt because nobody will ever complain about having too much cheese. If they do, are they really people you want to hang out with?
Serve this lasagna with some easy garlic and tomato cheese bread on the side, and don’t forget to add loads of fresh basil. Just tear those leaves up and sprinkle it everywhere.
Fresh basil and pasta were made for each other!
This post is part of my collaboration with Lightlife plant protein foods. All thoughts and opinions are always my own!
Easy Three Cheese Vegetarian Sausage Lasagna
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 packs Lightlife Gimme Lean Vegetarian Sausage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 whole jar (26oz) pasta sauce
- 1 whole can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta Can be subbed for vegan ricotta
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 8 sheets no-boil lasagna pasta
- 1 cup fresh basil
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the sausage meat.
- Break the Gimme lean up with a wooden spoon until it resembles ground beef. Add the salt, pepper, dried basil, rosemary, oregano, onion and garlic powders.
- Stir and add the pasta sauce and tomatoes. Combine and set aside.
- Spread a few spoonfuls of the meat sauce mixture onto the base of a 13x10 baking pan.
- Cover the sauce on the bottom of the pan with sheets of the uncooked lasagna sheets.
- Add about 2-3 cups of the meat mixture on top of the pasta and carefully spread it out evenly.
- Drop spoonfuls of the ricotta (about half) over the meat followed by half of the mozzarella and Parmesan. Place more sheets of the pasta on top of the cheese.
- Add the remaining meat on top of the pasta and spread it out.
- Top the meat with the remaining ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Add some shredded fresh basil and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes and the sauce and cheese are bubbling. Serve at once.