Take your veggie hotdogs to another level by adding some kung pao flavor to the mix!
This post is sponsored by Lightlife.
Ridiculous! That’s how I’d describe these veggie hotdogs, but in a good way, such a good way! They’re a little sweet and spicy with a nice salty peanut crunch. This is one summer recipe I’m begging you to make!
Forget the usual chili dogs because these Asian inspired hotdogs will make you think about all sorts of things you can add to your dog! Sweet and sour, curry and Pad Thai are all spinning around in my head right now. Can you imagine shrimp Pad Thai hotdogs??
As always my veggie dog of choice is Lightlife Smart Dogs. They’re loaded with protein and are just as good with tater tots as they are in a hotdog bun, trust me! Smart Dogs are made from plant-protein and simple seasonings. Each dog is only 50 calories and if you wrap it in a nice big lettuce leaf and skip the bun, you’re still guaranteed to feel super satisfied afterward!
How do I cook my veggie hotdogs?
Exactly the same as a regular dog! I drizzle a little canola oil over mine and then season with salt and black pepper. Lay them on a hot grill and turn them after about a minute. I like to turn them just as they start to blister and get some char on the surface.
Lightlife Smart Dogs also come in jumbo size, so if you’re looking for that bun-busting hot dog, then jumbo might be the way to go for you!
What will my veggie hotdogs taste like?
Amazing, seriously…I’m not an official vegetarian but sometimes I love to get stuck into a good veggie burger or veggie dog. It feels so good and clean, and I don’t have that stuffed or bloated feeling.
I like to season my veggie hotdogs with some sea salt, black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil just to help it get some color. I love to get that blistered surface on my hot dogs.
How does my veggie dog compare to a regular beef hot dog?
There’s a huge difference.
50 calories compared to 180 calories in a beef hot dog, ZERO cholesterol against 40 grams and 7 grams of protein in your Lightlife Smart Dog against only 5 grams in your beef hot dog!
If you’re trying to make better choices this summer, especially with parties and backyard fun picking up a veggie dog isn’t a bad decision!
Try it and let me know how much you loved your veggie hotdogs.
Grilled Kung Pao Veggie Hot Dogs
- 1 pack Lightlife Smart Dogs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup dried red chillies
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Hot dog buns
- Heat your grill to high heat
- Lightly drizzle the olive oil over your Smart Dogs and season with salt and pepper
- Place the Smart Dogs on the grill and cook until they start to blister slightly on the bottom, turn over and repeat.
- In a pan, heat the canola oil until hot.
- Add the diced pepper, onion, sesame oil, garlic, chilies, fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and water.
- Sauté for about 2-3 minutes until the onions and peppers have started to soften.
- Add the green onions and peanuts and toss to combine.
- Place one Smart Dog in each bun and top with a spoonful of the kung pao mix.
- Garnish with extra green onion, peanuts and serve with hot sauce on the side if desired.