An easy Instant Pot Meatloaf made in less than an hour, and perfect for the cold chilly weather!
I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and didn’t eat too much? I sure know I did and now I’m looking to ease into 2019 with some easy and semi-healthy dinner choices. This Instant Pot Meatloaf would probably fall more into the category of easy for sure.
Not that it’s unhealthy but there are still some carbs creeping in when you add the mashed potatoes, and the two always have to be together in my opinion. You could swap out the potatoes for a creamy mashed cauliflower side instead and chop those carbs right out of the picture though! But let’s talk about the meatloaf!
how to make instant pot meatloaf
- Mixing the ingredients
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and then form into a large ball shape.
- Adding the sauce
Meatloaf isn’t meatloaf without that amazing ketchup layer over the surface. Spread some on before cooking and then spread another layer on after the instant pot meatloaf has fully cooked. A few minutes under the broiler will war that new layer of sauce up perfectly.
- Pressure cookers need liquid to function
Add your liquid to the instant pot before placing the meatloaf inside. Water will work fine but usually anywhere where I see the instruction to add water to a savory recipe, I’ll almost always add a stock. This helps with flavor, and after the meatloaf has been sliced I like to spoon some of the hot meaty stock over the slices.
ingredients needed to make instant pot meatloaf
- Chicken stock. Veggie or beef stock can also be used as a substitute.
- Ground beef.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Garlic powder.
- Worcestershire sauce.
- Dijon mustard.
- Dried basil.
FAQ’s about instant pot meatloaf
I recommend slicing it into thick slices about an inch thick. Don’t forget those juices at the bottom of the pot and as with any meatloaf, a side of creamy mashed potatoes and beef gravy does it for me.
Easily, but I guarantee you’re probably not going to have any left! If you do, I’d place the meatloaf slices in a pan and add some stock. Bring to a swift simmer and cover. Warm for 5-7 minutes and it should still be moist and juicy.You can also warm it in the microwave but this tends to dry out the meatloaf.
Like me you might have lost yours, but you can use a large cookie cutter or an upside down shallow steel bowl.
Yes you can!
You can but I don’t recommend it. Meatloaf is best eaten straight away.
Mashed potatoes and gravy is the classic comfort food style but you can also use cauliflower mash with roasted vegetables for a lower calorie version.
Perfect side dishes for your meatloaf
Easy Instant Pot Meatloaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup ketchup divided
- Add the chicken stock to your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and place the wire rack on the bottom.
- Ina large glass mixing bowl, combine the beef and the rest of the ingredients except for the ketchup making sure to mix well.
- Form the meat into a large ball and place on the wire rack inside the pot.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the ketchup over the top of the meat.
- Place the lid on top of the Instant Pot and press the beef setting.
- Cook for 35 minutes and the beef is cooked through to a temperature of 165 degrees.
- Once the pressure has been released, carefully take the meatloaf from the pot and place it onto a baking sheet.
- Spread the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup over the top and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until bubbling.
- Slice and serve right away.