I love mashed potatoes. I love em’ so much I made three different kinds for you…you’re so very welcome! With so many people cooking a roast for Christmas dinner, mashed potatoes are a must-have-side.
These three flavors are my most favorite of all mashed potatoes. Creamy gorgonzola- blue cheese for crying out loud! Horseradish with black pepper- horseradish and meat are like Scooby and Shaggy, and Roasted Garlic- needs no introduction as the smell does all of the talking, are all made from the same base recipe. Heavy cream, butter and milk all help to smooth out those lumps and create a fluffy white cloud of mash, perfect for your holiday roast.
I’ve heard some cooks say that using a stand mixer to whip the potatoes gives them a gummy texture. My opinion is that as long as you don’t beat them on high speed for any length of time, then you should be okay. Maybe I’ve just never noticed because of the heinous amount of dairy I add to keep them creamy. Usually I don’t like to peel my vegetables but this time I wanted pretty white mashed potatoes, feel free to skip the peeling stage and head straight to the boil after a wash and quick scrub.
While we’re on the subject of dairy, did you know that milk is one of the most needed items at food banks? The dairy industry of America has joined forces with Feeding America to make it easy for food banks to have the milk they desperately need. You can donate a gallon at The Great American Milk Drive knowing that it’s helping food banks in your very own community, and each donation is matched through December 31st.
More fantastic mashed potatoes perfect for the holidays!
Saffron Garlic Buter Mashed Potatoes– 101 Cookbooks
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – Damn Delicious
Traditional Mashed Potatoes – Pocket Change Gourmet
Garlic Parmesan Mashed Potatoes – Chef In Training
Creamy Mashed Potatoes Three Ways
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Gorgonzola Potatoes
- cup Add 1/4 crumbled or grated Gorgonzola cheese and combine with the potatoes. Add more cheese if desired.
For the Horseradish Potatoes
- teaspoons Add 3 creamed horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon extra black pepper.
For the Roasted Garlic Potatoes
- tablespoon Add 1 chopped roasted garlic cloves see instructions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chives and fold through the potatoes
Roasting the Garlic
- Cut a whole garlic in half horizontally and lay it on a square of aluminum foil. Drizzle with a little olive oil, bring up the sides of the foil sealing the garlic and bake in the oven for about 1 hour.
To Make The Mashed Potato Base
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil the peeled potatoes until you can pierce each one fairly easily with a sharp knife, about 20-25 minutes
- Drain and transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the butter, cream, milk, salt and black pepper.
- Mix on low-medium speed using a whisk attachment until most or all of the lumps are gone, scraping the bowl down at least once.
- The mixture is now ready for adding any extra ingredients from the choice above.
- If you are planning to make the roasted garlic potatoes, be sure to roast your garlic first. Instructions above.