Traditional snickerdoodle cookies with cinnamon sugar and a rich buttery taste!
The holidays would’t be complete without traditional snickerdoodle cookies! As soon as they come out of the oven, every room in the house smells like Christmas. And because these are super simple cookies to make, you can make a batch of them pretty much anytime. I bet you even have all of the ingredients on hand right now to make these awesome snickerdoodle cookies.
I always look forward to the holidays because of the huge number of cookies you start to see on social media, I mean, we could basically eat cookies everyday through the month of December! I have a few favorites like these cute reindeer sugar cookies and be sure to check out my top 25 Christmas Cookies to bake for the holidays, I know you’ll find at least a few favorites from the list.
Some friends and I are posting our favorite cookie recipes just for you to make around the holidays. I can’t wait to try them all! Make sure to visit the links below and see what amazing Christmas cookies they created!
WHAT MAKES SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES TASTE SO GOOD?
I’d have to say the heavy load of butter along with that magical cinnamon and sugar mixture. Once the dough has been rolled into balls, you then need to roll them in the cinnamon sugar. This gives the cookies that sugary, spicy taste.
ARE SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES CRISPY OR CHEWY?
I always go for the chewy cookies. You can bake them for 3-4 minutes longer for a crispier finish if you prefer. Twelve minutes is all it takes to bake these cookies. They might seem soft when you take them from the oven but they’ll firm up slightly as they cool on a wire rack.
HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST?
Two days in a sealed container or zip lock bag.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THESE SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
- all purpose four
- baking soda
- cream of tartar
A stand mixer or hand held mixer will help you immensely also, the butter and sugar need to become really creamy and doing this by hand would take forever.
Take a look at these other holiday cookies, I think you’ll love them all!
- Monster Cookies from Eat The Love
- Gluten-Free Biscotti with Hazelnuts & Chocolate from The Bojon Gourmet
- Classic Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Cookies from Snixy Kitchen
- Triple Chocolate Cookies from Hummingbird High
- Honey Walnut Shortbread Cookies from Food Fashion Party
- Paleo Gingerbread Cookies from Foolproof Living
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Set aside
- Using a stand mixer, beat the sugar and soft butter until creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat for 2-3 minutes scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter and mix on slow until a dough has formed.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop out small amounts of the dough and roll them into balls.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the cinnamon sugar and place on the prepared baking sheet in a 3x4 pattern..
- Lightly press down on the cookies and place in the oven.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes and slightly golden.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.