If you’re going to make any type of grilled cheese sandwich, the cheese is totally the most important ingredient, we agree on that, right? Some varieties of cheese melt but then turn stiff again as it cools, other cheese might take on a strange sheen to it. Eventually you finally find a gooey melty cheese but what the heck..it tastes like the packaging! Belgioioso Provolone Cheese doesn’t fit into any of these categories. It melts easily, It looks stretchy and It tastes like a good aged cheese. Perfect for my Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese!
Belgioioso Provolone is made in Wisconsin, where they know how to do dairy! The flavor is nutty, like a really good Parmesan but remember this is a sliced cheese. It’s perfect for adding to a lunch sandwich but for me, this cheese is a melty cheese. Use it in pasta, pizzas and of course any type of toasted sandwich, like my Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese! It’s an easy sandwich to make with only a few simple ingredients and steps. Take two slices of french bread with a thin layer of dijon mustard, topped with smoked ham and Belgioioso Provolone and covered in a creamy Grana Parmesan béchamel. Throw it under the broiler until the top bubbles and you’ve arrived at you’re melted cheese happy place.This is a knife and fork sandwich friends, messy but sooo tasty!
Look for Belgioioso Provolone sold in 2 pound resealable packs at your local Costco!
Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese
For The Bechamel Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter- divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Grana Parma- divided
- Salt and pepper
For The Sandwich
- 2 slices french crusty bread
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 slices smoked ham
- 3 slices Belgioioso Provolone Cheese- divided
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small pan.
- Add the flour and whisk over a low heat for about two minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking after each addition to get rid of the lumps (see notes)
- Add the 1/4 cup of Grana Parma and whisk until smooth, season with salt and pepper.
- Spread one slice of the bread with the mustard.
- Melt the other tablespoon of butter in a pan large enough to hold both slices of the bread and preheat your broiler to high.
- Lay the ham on top of the mustard followed by 2 slices of the provolone.
- Place both slices of the bread into the melted butter and toast for about 1 minute on low.
- Place the pan under the broiler to melt the provolone topped sandwich, about 30 seconds.
- Take the pan from the broiler and place the empty piece of bread on top of the ham/cheese piece.
- Place the remaining slice of Provolone on top of the sandwich.
- Pour the béchamel over the top of the sandwich and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons Grana Parmesan.
- Place back under the broiler until the top starts to bubble. Watch it carefully.
- Serve at once.