A delicious chicken tortilla casserole that’s perfect for a busy weeknight dinner! I can almost guarantee empty plates after the family sees this on the table!
There are a few recipes that I can bet on to keep the kids happy and this chicken tortilla casserole is definitely one of them. Along with some tomato sauce, chicken, onion, and fresh cilantro, this one-dish chicken tortilla casserole is so easy to put together. You could knock this recipe up in less than 30 minutes, even the night before and just bake it in the oven when you need to! I’m on a crusade to make everyone’s life a little easier in the kitchen and this is step one!
My chicken tortilla casserole is a little like lasagna except it has no pasta. I replaced that with corn tortillas which get sandwiched between layers of hot bubbling tomato sauce. The method is exactly the same as making lasagna and can be really rustic so don’t worry too much about making it look perfect. As long as it comes out of the oven with the melted cheese on top and the sauce bubbling around the edges of the dish, you can call it perfect!
This is one of those dishes I can put in front of the family and watch them dig in for seconds or thirds if you’re like me.
Can I use flour tortillas for my tortilla chicken casserole?
I recommend using corn tortillas because flour tortillas tend to become soggy in a layered recipe like this. The corn soaks up the sauce well but is still easy enough to hold together when the time comes to serve it.
Is it okay to switch out the chicken for beef?
That would taste great! I would go ahead and use at least one pound of ground beef in place of the chicken.
Which cheese is best to use in a chicken tortilla casserole?
The cheese I used was Cacique® Queso Quesadilla. It’s a fairly mild cheese with great melting qualities so this is the perfect recipe to try it out. Use the whole piece and fill up those layers between the tortillas. If you asked me to make this recipe even easier I’d say, of course. If you can’t find it, Fontina or mozzarella will also work.
Can I make this chicken tortilla casserole ahead of time?
You can construct the full recipe a day ahead and store it in the refrigerator. As soon as you get home from work or many of the kids activities like me, just preheat the oven and dinner will be ready in about 45 minutes.
Serve this alongside some fresh made guacamole, salsa and plenty of fresh cilantro for an amazing dinner, just don’t expect there to be any leftover!
more cheesy recipes
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 14.5oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 18 small corn tortillas, street size
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken shredded
- 1 whole round of Cacique Queso Quesadilla Cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. prepare a 13×9 inch baking pan or dish by spraying with non stick spray.
- In a large sauté pan, 10-12inches wide, heat the oil and add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 8 minutes over a medium heat and the onions turn soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, stock, and all of the spices. Stir thoroughly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In the 13 x 9 inch oven proof baking dish, lay 6 of the tortillas on the bottom. Spread some of the chicken on top, followed by some sauce and then sprinkle some cheese on top.
- Lay another 6 tortillas on top of the cheese and repeat the process two more times, ending with cheese on top, ready for the oven.
- Bake in the oven, covered with foil for 35 minutes. Take the foil off and bake for a further 10 minutes and the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling around the edges.
- Serve at once with guacamole and fresh salsa.