Sweet and sticky air fryer chicken wings covered in a homemade Bourbon and maple bbq sauce!
Chicken wings are so good, right? But they can be messy and tedious to make, especially if you like them well done and crispy like me. You could either deep fry them and suffer the huge amounts of oil they absorb, bake them in the oven for a healthier version like these baked Parmesan garlic wings, or make them in the air fryer! These chicken wings take about 12 minutes to fully cook and then a few extra minutes to coat them with a homemade Bourbon and maple bbq sauce. Even if you don’t make these air fryer chicken wings, the sauce is definitely a keeper!
how to make air fryer chicken wings
- Preparing the wings
Trim the wings into flats and drummetes, which are the meatier section of the wing and separate. Trim any large pieces of skin and discard. Season on both sides.
- Cooking the air fryer chicken wings
You may have to do this in batches. My Cosori Pro II Air Fryer is 5.8 qt in size and I can fit about 10 wings in the basket but could probably squeeze in another 4. You don’t want to pile the wings on top of each other as it’ll affect overall cook time. If you do have a lot of wings to cook, you can heat your oven to 350 and place the them on a baking sheet to stay warm while you continue cooking the rest in the air fryer.
Cook the wings for 6 minutes and then flip them over and cook for a further six minutes. If you’re in any doubt if they might not be ready, you can always poke them with a thermometer and they should be 165 degrees in the thickest part.
Tips for making great air fryer chicken wings
- Make sure to trim off any excess skin on the wings. Skin usually turns to fat and lots of grease which is nice to avoid.
- Before cooking, spray the wings lightly with an oil spray.
- Wipe out the air fryer basket after each batch of cooked wings and you’ll get less burned black pieces on the next set of wings.
- After the wings are fully cooked you can either toss them in the bbq sauce or brush the sauce on the wings and cook for another two minutes to get that sticky, sweet glaze on each wing.
- Once all of the wings have been cooked, I like to add them all back into the basket and give them one last brush with sauce. Cook for another minute just to warm up the wings from the first batch. It doesn’t matter at this point f they are all on top of each other as they are fully cooked.
more tasty wing recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 ½ pounds chicken wings, cut into flats and drummetes
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp any bbq rub
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
Make The Sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- In a small pot, whisk together the ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, Bourbon, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook on low for about 15 minutes stirring often. Set aside.
- Combine the garlic, bbq rub, paprika, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Season the wings generously with the spice mixture.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°
- Place enough wings into the air fryer basket so that they are close but not squashed against each other or on top of each other.
- Cook at 380° for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, turn each wing over and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Brush the wings generously with the bbq sauce and then cook for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer the wings to a plate, cover with foil and continue the process to cook any remaining wings.
- Serve with any extra sauce for dipping.