This beef stew is made in the Instant Pot and literally melts in your mouth. Big chunks of beef mixed with bacon and mushrooms make this a perfect comfort food dinner choice for any busy weeknight!
When the colder weather starts to appear, I always like to cook more comfort food like this Steak and Ale Pie. It’s how I remember dinners growing up and there’s nothing better than a warm bowl of soup or stew when the rain (or snow) is pounding down outside. Now that the Instant Pot has become such a valuable tool in the kitchen, you don’t need to cook your beef stew for hours and hours to get it fork tender!
How long does it take to cook in my Instant Pot?
There’s a little bit of prep before you actually have to put the lid on and set the timer, but with the sauté button you can still do all of that prep in the Instant Pot! Once all of your ingredients have been added, the beef stew should be ready in about 30 minutes.
Can I use a slow cooker if I have no Instant Pot?
Yes you can but the time will need to be adjusted. On high, I’d plan for the beef stew to take around four hours.
Is it okay to use red wine in my Instant Pot?
Yes, in fact you need the red wine to make this beef stew as tasty as it is. After cooking the bacon, the bottom of the pot becomes covered in crispy burnt bits of bacon and that’s flavor you don’t want to lose. The best way to scrape it off the bottom is by deglazing the pot with the red wine. Deglazing is done by adding some red wine to the pot after the meat has been transferred to a plate. Scrape the pot as the red wine simmers and the flavor will be absorbed into the wine after the alcohol cooks off.
How to thicken your beef stew.
Once the beef stew is ready, the sauce will be a little bit on the runnier side which is fine, but I prefer a thick, rich gravy and the easiest way to do that is by mixing equal parts of water and cornstarch together to make a slurry or a thin paste. Add to the stew, stir and simmer for an extra five minutes to cook out flavor of the cornstarch.
What can I serve with my beef stew?
This beef stew is so rich and filling that you can eat it just as it is, but on top of a bed of creamy mashed potatoes or rice makes this the ultimate comfort food!
How do I reheat my beef stew?
You can warm it through in a pan and add a little beef stock with it to loosen it up, or simply in the microwave for a few minutes depending on the amount your trying to reheat.
Check out these other Instant Pot Recipes you might like!
- Corned Beef with Mustard Whisky Sauce
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Lamb Casserole with Potatoes
- Dill Pickle Pasta Alfredo
Beef Stew with Mushrooms in The Instant Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 pounds Cubed beef stew meat
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 8 oz sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 an orange cut into two wedges
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Turn on your Instant Pot to the sauté setting.
- Add the olive oil and bacon when it becomes hot.
- Stir the bacon until browned and slightly crispy then transfer to a large plate
- Add the cubed meat in two batches seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the seared meat to the plate with the bacon.
- Add the red wine and scrape the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Simmer the red wine for 2-3 minutes and then add both meats back into the pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Switch the Instant Pot setting to beef/stew setting.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot making sure the release valve is in the locked position.
- Cook the beef in the Instant Pot for 30-35 minutes, making sure it is fork tender.
- Once the beef stew is done cooking, carefully release the steam and take of the lid.
- Switch back to the sauté setting and combine the water and cornstarch together in a small cup.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the stew and stir gently.
- Cook for a few more minutes until the stew has thickened and serve at once.