There’s so many national food days now that chances are, something you see will make you rethink your dinner plans. That’s what I’m hoping will happen today because it’s officially National Hummus Day! Hummus is one of those ingredients that can be used in so many recipes. From simple ideas like dipping platters for parties (or yourself when you’re watching that Mad Men marathon) and don’t get me started on all of the different things you can dip in hummus. It’s not just for pita bread and carrots, try grilled garlic bread sticks or apple slices dusted with a little cayenne. If you want to get a little more serious with your hummus, try using it as a spread instead of butter or mayonnaise. To celebrate National Hummus Day I made this easy Beef Kofta Sandwich with Garlic Hummus. Kofta is a middle eastern meatball or lump of ground meat but it’s the spices that make this meat taste so good. Eight different spices, some chopped onion and fresh cilantro are mixed with the ground beef and cooked until crispy on the outside but still juicy in the middle! Pita bread spread with some Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus makes the perfect bed for the meatballs. So easy and fast! Sabra want you to help them celebrate National Hummus Day. Here are some ways you can play and have the chance to win cash, gift cards and Sabra swag! Facebook– Log on today and grab some coupons for Sabra products and even the chance to download a free ebook, Hummus For Dummies! Twitter– Tag a picture of you today (5/15) and your hummus, kind of like a Sabra selfie, and you could win $100 gift card. Don’t forget to tag it using #HummusDay. Instagram– Another way to upload that selfie if you prefer Instagram to Twitter. Use the hashtag #HummusDay for the chance to win some great stuff. Pinterest– Upload that selfie with your favorite Sabra product to Pinterest and you might win a swag bag and $100 gift card. This post was sponsored by Sabra and compensation was provided. As always all thoughts, ideas and opinions are my own.
Beef Kofta Sandwich with Garlic Hummus
- 1.25 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped plus more for garnishing each sandwich
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 medium sized pita breads
- 1 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Tzatziki sauce optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the ground beef into a large bowl.
- Add the white onion, spices and 1/4 cup of fresh chopped cilantro.
- Using your hands mix the beef and other ingredients until well combined.
- Divide the mix into 8 equally sized pieces and roll into balls. (flour on the hands can be helpful at this stage to prevent sticking)
- Heat the canola oil in a large ovenproof shallow pan until hot. Place each meatball into the pan gently and brown on either side.
- When the meatballs are browned, place the pan into the oven and roast for about 20 minutes and cooked all the way through.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus on each pita and place two meatballs on top.
- Add some tzatziki sauce if desired, sliced red onion and garnish with some fresh cilantro.
- Serve at once folding the sandwich to eat.