Warm kale salad with roasted potatoes, bacon, cranberries and Manchego cheese. Drizzle some super-tasty raspberry dressing on top and you’ll be stuffing salads in your face all year long.
I’m writing this post as the rain hammers off my windows. It’s a rare sight in California but we need the water for sure and everything in my yard is getting a much needed wash down.
So it felt a little weird to be giving you guys a salad recipe, but it’s a warm kale salad!
But why should salads have all the summer fun? This warm kale salad is definitely a fall flavor recipe, the potatoes are warm with chunks of over-crispy bacon, apple, Manchego cheese, cranberries and kale!
I almost forgot the candied pecans. This is totally Christmas in a bowl!
Every salad needs a dressing and this one is so easy it’s ridiculous. Fresh raspberries with some red wine vinegar and olive oil, blended high-speed style in my Vitamix. It’s a little tart but the bacon takes care of that.
The kale doesn’t even need to be cooked. Just a gentle massage with some olive oil and it’s ready to go.
Sweet from the cranberries and candied pecans. Savory from the Manchego and bacon. All sorts of umami-ness flying around.
This is a filling salad because of the potatoes, but throwing some slices of grilled chicken on top would not be a bad thing or even grilled tofu.
Protein, carbs, fruit and dairy. What else would you ever need for the perfect kale salad?
The potatoes are simply seasoned with salt, pepper and rosemary. Toss them in a bowl and roast in the oven until soft and kinda blistery.
This is where you’re allowed to taste some (a lot) because they’re so good just like this!
This picture pretty much sums up this warm kale salad, except you may have nothing left on our plate.
The only reason I did was because I piled it way higher than I should have.
Have a great Thanksgiving week everybody!
Warm Kale Salad with Roasted Potatoes
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 pounds baby yellow potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 head green kale
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup candied pecans chopped
- 1 whole apple
- 8 ounces Manchego cheese
For The Dressing
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the bacon on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until crispy. Transfer to some pepper towels to drain.
- Increase the oven heat to 425 degrees.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl cutting any large ones in half.
- Add 2 tbsp of the olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper and toss to coat well.
- Place the potatoes onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 40-45 minutes moving them around on the pan halfway through, or until they can be easily pierced with a sharp knife when done.
- When the potatoes are roasting, make the dressing by adding the first 6 ingredients in a blender and mixing on high speed.
- Scrape down the blender and on low speed, gradually add the olive oil until the dressing is emulsified. Set aside.
- Wash and trim the kale by cutting out the center spine and discarding it. Roughly chop the kale into smaller pieces and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to the kale and gently massage with your fingers.
- Add the cranberries, chopped pecans and thin slices of the apple.
- Shave or slice very thin slices of the cheese and add to the kale.
- Chop the cooked bacon into pieces and also add to the kale along with the warm roasted potatoes.
- Add as much of the dressing as you desire and toss well adding more dressing if needed as well as salt and pepper.
- Serve at once.
Uhmm. Looks so delicious!
Bacon, potato and Manchego Cheese. I’m sold!
Bacon is the best ingredient in the world
I love the taste of it!
The salad looks amazing, so I will try it soon!
Thanks for the inspiration:-)
Who needs turkey when you can dive into this salad?! Looks incredible!
There are so many wonderful flavors happening here! The kale paired with the potatoes sounds like an incredibly hearty combination with a pleasing textural contrast. :)
Fall salads are my favorite kind! This seriously sounds so good — I love a tart/acidic dressing, something salty (bacon, cheese), something sweet (dried fruit, apple) and something crunchy (nuts) in my salads, and this one has it all. All those contrasting flavors and textures are what make salads so darn good, IMO. One thing I’ve never added to my salads is roasted potatoes, though, and now I MUST TRY IT. Those potatoes look so tantalizing!
Gerry, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I live in Sacramento, and I agree, the rain seems weird but it’s much needed. In fact, I hear raindrops rapping on my window right now! Anyway, this salad looks amazing, and I love that raspberry lime dressing you’ve got going here!
Omg what luck….I just happened on your blog a week ago and kaboom every recipe I’ve tried has been so so amazingly deelish! This salad wonderful and simple. The sweet potato soup with all the wonderful seafood…..outrageously good! My husband is loving this! My son is a stay at home dad who loves to cook also…..I passed along your link. Love the photos they sell the dish. Thank you, thank you!
Hi Corinne, that’s great news!! I really appreciate your feedback too!