A super fresh and simple Kale Salad with shredded beet, red cabbage and carrots. I added marinated tofu chunks and grilled vegetables for an easy and healthy lunch.
Sometimes a brand will contact me with a product I’ve never tasted or used, so samples will be tried and I’ll decide if I like it, or if it’s not for me. I didn’t have that issue with Taylor Farms because I’ve had their salads before and loved all of them. I’m also happy to work with a local Californian company that has generations of history, absorbs themselves in the community and prides itself by using the latest technology to maintain sustainability.
But this one was a little different because all it has is kale, cabbage, carrots and beet. No dressing or toppings to throw on.
The Chef Crafted Salads are like blank canvases, already healthy and just screaming for your creativity so they can be eaten like they’re meant to be. And all of the prep work is already done for you, just crack open the container and toss!
For some reason this one was screaming Asian flavors to me.
So that’s what I went with. Tofu chunks soaked in a soy sauce and red chili flake marinade. Like any marinade, try and do this the night before and let the tofu suck up all of that flavor. You’ll be happy you did because let’s be honest, tofu can be a little bland.
The Kale and Beet Salad is already hitting 10 on the healthy meter and with the tofu and grilled vegetables, this is a salad that can fill you up but not leave you feeling like you have a rock in your stomach.
The dressing is a simple one and is similar to the tofu marinade with soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
I’m a total spice head so I may have sprinkled even more red chili flakes on top but you can skip that part if you like.
This recipe would also be awesome with strips of grilled chicken if tofu doesn’t make your heart flutter. There’s six varieties of Chef crafted Salads to choose from.
That’s almost one for dinner every night!
This post was sponsored by Taylor Farms. All opinions and text are my own and I’m grateful to work with brands I love to cook with.
Kale Salad with Beets Carrots and Grilled Tofu
- 1 Kale and Beet Taylor Farms Chef Crafted Salad
- 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 medium sized red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup toasted cashew nuts roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds plus extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Cut the tofu into even squares about 1 inch, you should get about 18 blocks and transfer them to a bowl or flat dish.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, red chili and black pepper.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu and let rest for at least four hours in the fridge, longer is better.
- Cut both zucchini into thick rings and the red onion into thick chunks.
- Take your skewer and alternate with some of the tofu, vegetables and onion until full.
- Preheat your grill to high and spray with a non stick spray.
- Place the skewers onto the grill.
- Grill for about 4 minutes and then turn them over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes and the tofu has taken on some nice golden edges.
- Once the skewers are cooked let them rest and make the dressing.
- In a blender combine all of the dressing ingredients.
- Blend on high speed for 20-30 seconds.
- Add the Kale and Beet Salad to a large bowl and add the dressing, green onion and cashews.
- Toss well and serve on individual plates with a tofu skewer.
- Sprinkle with extra toasted sesame seeds.