A delicious Vegetarian Meat Loaf made from Lightlife Smart Italian Sausages.
This post is sponsored by Lightlife, all opinions are my own.
Meat loaf is always a favorite at dinner in my house. Easy to make, kid friendly and usually coming in under the comfort food category. Serve it with mashed potatoes and you have a meal that’s been popular for years!
But this vegetarian meat loaf is a little different. It doesn’t have any actual meat in it because it’s made with Lightlife Smart Italian Sausage. That means it’s packed with plant protein including soy, chickpeas and quinoa! It’s super healthy, tastes awesome and has a combination of grated brussels sprouts, brown mushrooms and onions for flavor and bulk to bring it all together. Lightlife Smart Sausage already comes with an Italian style seasoning which is perfect for using it in a meat loaf recipe, usually I’d add oregano or thyme anyway but this time lots of fresh rosemary and sage took it to another level.
Another great reason to make meatloaf is because Thanksgiving is almost with us, and that means crazy amounts of food being made in your kitchen, and the one thing we all love after Thanksgiving which is leftovers! This recipe would also work well with any leftover stuffing you might have, whichever stuffing you end up using could take place of the mushrooms and brussels sprouts and you can pretty much guarantee that there’s going to be extra mashed potatoes for serving on the side! Making mashed potatoes is like making pasta, I always seem to think I’m not making enough but then end up making way too much!
Bake this vegetarian meatloaf for 45 minutes and then add that traditional layer of ketchup on top. Another 10 minutes and the top becomes crispy and sticky. Cut it into thick slices and serve with extra mashed potatoes on the side!
Vegetarian Meat Loaf
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups Lightlife Smart Sausages about 2 packs ground up in a food processor
- 1 cup grated Brussels sprouts
- 8 oz sliced brown mushrooms
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft.
- Add the ground Smart Italian Sausage and Brussels sprouts, mix well.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Blend in the tomato paste, rosemary, sage, salt, pepper and crackers and mix.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared pan and push down using the bottom of a flat ramekin to compress the meatloaf.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes
- Take the meatloaf out of the oven and add the ketchup to the meatloaf, spreading it evenly over the surface.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.