A healthy mix of vegetables and citrus make this Vegetarian Ceviche an awesome snack any time of the day!
I ate this vegetarian ceviche and didn’t even think about seafood at any point in time.
I swear if you dive in with a chip, scoop and shove the whole thing in your mouth, your brain will start sending alerts to your tastebuds looking for shrimp. Sorry, no seafood here!
But the fresh flavor that the veggies provide along with the traditional lime and lemon juice make this a pretty cool thing to have as a side for any Taco Tuesday or even these Green Goddess Farmers Market Tacos! With five different veggies in the ceviche (6 if you don’t count cilantro and tomatoes are a fruit) it’s loaded with so much epic flavor! I also love adding fresh orange juice to my ceviche, it helps balance the acidity of the limes.
Anytime I’ve made ceviche at home, like this Pineapple and Avocado version or my Mango and Jalapeño ceviche, I always try to start the seafood soaking in the juice hours before. This vegetarian ceviche doesn’t really need that time window because nothing needs to be “cooked”. In fact you really want to keep the veggies good and crunchy, so throw it all together about 30 minutes before you plan on serving it.
If you’re not following a vegan or paleo lifestyle, throw a scoop on top of some seared salmon or grilled chicken. Open a Chardonnay and rewind a few months when summer was just beginning…and probably when I should have posted this recipe!
Feel free to adapt this ceviche to your own tastes and add your personal favorite veggies!
- 2 tbso olive oil
- 5 whole shishito peppers
- 1 1/2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cucumber peeled and diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup orange bell pepper diced
- 1 whole tomato, deseeded and diced
- 1 orange halved
- 3 whole limes
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 handful fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a pan and roast the shishito's until blistered. Let cool and chop finely.
- Add the peppers, cauliflower, cucumber, onion, bell pepper and tomato to a bowl.
- Squeeze the orange, limes and lemon juice over the veggies and toss well.
- Add the chopped cilantro, salt and pepper. Taste and season again if desired.
- Serve with chips.