With Christmas flavors all around, you have to make this easy homemade peppermint milkshake with whipped cream, crushed candy canes and a cherry on top!
why you need a peppermint milkshake
Thanksgiving is all about pumpkin but as soon as turkey day is done, it’s time for all things peppermint and the fast track to Christmas. A peppermint milkshake isn’t a new thing but some are more popular than others, with one in particular from Chik-fil-A that my kids are in love with. I stole a taste for myself and I can see why the peppermint milkshake has such a huge cult following with people waiting patiently every year for it to appear. It’s a seasonal item so feed your fix while you can.
I decided to try and recreate it which wasn’t too difficult. The trickiest part was probably getting the consistency perfectly thick and creamy because milkshakes have to be super thick, am I right?
How to make the perfect peppermint milkshake
A good blender is important, I use a Vitamix which can blend at high speed and create that much needed air for a fluffy, light milkshake. Next, combine the ice cream and whole milk at a ratio that won’t be too runny or even too thick. When I was making this recipe, a lot of it was trial and error but I think the result was a really close copycat version from Chik-fil-A, verified by my kids! I used 8 decent sized scoops of ice cream and added a half cup of milk. I always like mine to be on the thicker side even if I have to scoop it into my glass but if the milkshake seems too thick for you, just add a splash more milk until you get the consistency you’re looking for. Add the candy canes, chocolate and peppermint and blend again. Pour it into a tall glass, add a swirl of whipped cream and don’t forget that all important cherry on top!
Tips for making the best milkshake
- Use whole milk- Getting as much cream and fat into the milkshake is important. Milkshakes are probably not an everyday treat but once in a while is okay.
- Full fat ice cream- Just like the whole milk, the ice cream is what will make your milkshake super creamy and delicious. I used vanilla for this milkshake but any favorite flavor of ice cream you have can be made into a milkshake.
- Candy canes- No peppermint milkshake would be complete without crushed peppermint candies mixed through it.
- Add your own mix-in’s- Plain ice cream is the best to begin with.
- Peppermint extract is what you need, not just mint extract which has more of a spearmint flavor to it. Be careful, extract is strong so add a few drops and then taste it after it’s been blended. You can always add more if you like peppermint!
MORE BLENDED DRINKS
Thick and Creamy Peppermint Milkshake
- 3 candy canes, divided
- 7 good sized scoops of vanilla ice cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ regular sized (3oz) bar of dark chocolate roughly broken up
- 2-3 drops peppermint extract
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherry
- Roughly break 2 of the candy canes with your fingers.
- Place the third candy cane in a zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin or heavy object, set aside.
- Add to your blender, the ice cream, milk, broken candy canes, chocolate pieces and peppermint extract.
- Blend on low to begin with and then switch to high speed.
- Check the consistency and add more milk if the shake is too thick.
- Blend again until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a large tall glass about ¼ inch from the top and garnish with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle the remaining crushed candy canes over the whipped cream and add a cherry.