These handy barbecue bacon parfait cups are perfect for summertime grilling get togethers!
This post is sponsored by Farmer John.
Summer is in full swing! The kids are done with school, vacations are coming up fast and outdoor fun in the sun is becoming a regular thing. These are all good with me especially the last one, because here in Southern California there’s no shortage of sunshine. I love to cook outdoors whether it’s grilling something simple or tending my smoker for hours to turn out a perfect barbecue for a bunch of friends!
Having a backyard party doesn’t have to be stressful, it’s all about prep and being able to manage your expectations. Don’t try to cook a million different items for your guests, I can almost guarantee you that they’d rather sit with a few tasty bites and a cold beer and that’s why these simple barbecue bacon parfait cups are perfect. You can serve these as an appetizer while you’re finishing up the burgers or hot dogs and people will love them because they’re super portable and easy to eat.
A parfait is usually a dessert with layers but who says you can’t have a savory version? And especially if the star of the parfait is bacon! Yup, these little cups are layered with cornbread, baked beans, Cajun potatoes and big chunks of crispy Farmer John Thick Cut Bacon. Just to add some balance the parfaits are topped with some buttermilk coleslaw and more crumbled bacon, because…bacon!!
Farmer John has been a west coast favorite since 1931. As well as bacon, you can also find hot dogs, smoked sausages and lunch meat, all available at your local grocery store, including Ralphs, Smart & Final, Northgate, Vons, Stater Brothers Markets and more. With the long sun-fueled days ahead barbecues are a staple event for people all over the country, and if you’re like me you always end up being the cook. The key is to keep things simple and enjoy the BBQ along with your friends instead of only seeing them as they wave goodbye because you’ve been stuck at the grill.
You can put these bacon parfait cups together in less than 30 minutes. Here’s how to do it.
Store bought corn bread for the first layer is completely okay to buy. Sure, you can make your own but remember we talked about keeping things simple!
Baked beans are easy to warm up so have them ready in a pot beside you.
You can pre-cook your Farmer John bacon and roughly chop it into thick chunks. I like mine on the crispy side, but you can cook it the way you like it.
Make the diced Cajun potatoes ahead of time (these also make great breakfast potatoes too!)
Use pre-made coleslaw salad greens but you’ll love this tangy buttermilk dressing which takes literally three minutes to put together.
Building your BBQ parfait cups.
Dice some of the cornbread and place in the cup as your base layer. I used medium sized 8oz plastic cups.
Spoon some of the beans over the cornbread followed by the potatoes.
Next is the layer of bacon and this is where you shouldn’t skimp! Add plenty of thick chunks and then top with a good-sized scoop of the coleslaw. Garnish with extra chopped bacon and parsley and that’s how easy backyard entertaining can be!
Summer BBQ Bacon Parfait Cups
- 2 (16oz) packs Farmer John Thick Cut Bacon
- 2 medium sixed potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 cups diced cornbread
- 1 large can baked beans
- 1 bag coleslaw greens
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- Preheat the oven to 375 and line 2 baking pans with parchment paper.
- Place the bacon strips onto the pans and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until crispy.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and cover.
- Toss the potatoes with the Cajun seasoning.
- Warm the oil in a large pan and add the potatoes. Cook for about 12 minutes until the potatoes are soft when pierced.
- Bring the beans to a low simmer in a pot.
- Combine the mayo, buttermilk, sour cream and chives in a bowl and add a little to the coleslaw greens. Toss and add more dressing if desired.
- Place some diced cornbread into the bottom of each cup.
- Add some beans and potatoes on top of the cornbread.
- Roughly chop the bacon into chunks and sprinkle over the beans.
- Top each parfait cup with some buttermilk coleslaw and garnish with more chopped bacon and parsley.
- Serve at once.