This delicious lobster Mac and cheese is loaded with big chunks of fresh lobster and cooked in a habanero cheese sauce for a spicy kick!
Why do I need lobster Mac and cheese?
Mac and cheese must be one of the best comfort dish recipes you can make, and it makes a great side dish especially if you ever have dinner at a good steakhouse. The super-cheesy and delicious dish wouldn’t be out of place at all on your Thanksgiving table either! But did you know regular good old Mac and cheese can be elevated so easily? This lobster Mac and cheese is proof of that.
Elbow macaroni is cooked in a rich, creamy habanero cheese sauce loaded with chunks of fresh lobster and buttery panko breadcrumbs on top. It sounds amazing, and it is, With just a few easy components to the recipe the cheese sauce is probably the most important. Using habanero cheese might make you second guess things if you don’t like food with a kick but the heat is not that intense. I used Cabot Creamery Wickedly Habanero along with a smaller amount of extra sharp cheddar just to cut the heat off the habanero a tiny bit. With a definite kick to it the habanero cheese is perfect for lobster Mac and cheese. This is a recipe I could see on any restaurant menu, it’s that good, and because Cabot Creamery is a co-operative, you can trust each farm family to put everything into the quality taste of the whole Cabot line of award winning cheeses including these new deli bars.
Making Lobster Mac and Cheese
As indulgent and luxurious as this habanero lobster Mac and cheese sounds and looks, it’s actually really easy to put together. Getting the cheese sauce is key and if you follow these easy steps, you should be making this Mac and cheese pretty soon. The sauce begins with the béchamel sauce method which is also called a roux. This is mixing equal parts of butter and flour together, adding milk and then adding the cheese. You can see how to make this classic sauce here!
FAQ’s about making this recipe
Yes, although I’d keep the spaghetti style for my pasta and meatballs. You could use rigatoni, penne, farfalle or ziti.
Yes, you can make it up until everything is mixed and in the baking dish. Just cover with foil and all that’s needed to be done is to place it in the oven. This is great for busy weeknights!
Always use whole milk for its full fat and to make the Mac and cheese as creamy as possible.
Sharp cheddar is the most popular cheese to use.
You can use large size shrimp, scallops or even chunks of any from white fish such as halibut or cod to add to the Mac and cheese.
Tips on making the best Mac and cheese
- Grate your own cheese instead of using pre-grated cheese.
- Bake in a hot oven, 400 degrees works best for me. Everything is already cooked in Mac and cheese so all you need to do is make the cheese sauce become bubbly and gooey with a slight crust around the edges.
- If your cheese sauce seems too thick after adding the cheese, just add some more milk to get it to the consistency you need. It should be thick but still pour from a spoon when scooped.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools, set the pan over a low heat and stir to bring to back to the sauce consistency.
- Mac and cheese is only as good as the cheese you make it with, Cabot has many great flavors to choose from and each one will make a fantastic Mac and cheese
more great cheesy recipes
Spicy Lobster Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups dried elbow pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz fresh lobster
- 5 tbsp butter, divided
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 ½ cups whole milk plus extra if needed
- 6 oz Cabot Wickedly Habanero Cheddar
- 4 oz Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Have a 3-4 quart oven safe baking dish on hand or a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil and cook the elbow pasta as per the directions on the box, drain and mix the olive oil through until well coated. Set aside.
- In a pan melt 2 tbsp off the butter and slice the lobster into chunks.
- Add the lobster to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Using the same pan melt another two tbsp off the butter and add the flour.
- Whisk well over a medium-low heat until the flour has been absorbed by the melted butter.
- Begin to add the milk gradually whisking well after each addition.
- Add all of the milk and whisk until smooth and simmering.
- Grate both cheeses and add to the hot milk mixture.
- Whisk until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and sauce to the lobster and fold everything together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Transfer the mac and cheese to your oven safe dish and spread out evenly
- Melt the remaining 1 tbsp of butter and add to the breadcrumbs.
- Mix well and sprinkle over the mac and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes and the cheese is bubbling around the edges.
- Serve at once with crusty garlic bread on the side.