Grab a slice of this Spiced Apple Cake and an espresso because fall is coming!
This post is part of my collaboration with Pete and Gerry’s Organic Eggs. All opinions are my own!
I’m a total bake-head, and fall and Christmas always seem to bring out the baker in everyone. Then January barrels in with its resolutions and healthy eating…womp!
What a buzzkill January is.
It’s so hard to stop at just one slice of this Spiced Apple Cake recipe though, I don’t know whether it’s the chunks of apple, the gingerbread spice flavor or the sweet layer of cream cheese smeared generously over the surface? So many good reasons to make this loaf cake, I can’t nail down just one!
I’m always a tad nervous when I bake a loaf cake or pound cake. I’ve had one or two over the years coming out of the oven with a perfect crown and then sinking in the middle. But this one stayed like it should, even with the heavy cream cheese frosting.
Maybe the success was down to my mad baking skills or maybe it was the fantastic eggs from Pete and Gerry’s that brought the whole mixture together. After all, the eggs are all organic and free range so probably happy hens make happy baked goods!
With so many eggs coming from giant factories these days, Pete and Gerry’s have maintained contact with the small family farms. This helps us as consumers and provides all of us with top quality eggs. I’m already thinking about what my next baking recipe might be because most recipes will always call for eggs.
Maybe I’ll try some things out over the weekend with the kids, they always love to help especially with a baking project because licking beaters and spatulas are real folks! They’ve also been going through a weird amount of mini muffins lately so maybe we can come up with a mini pumpkin spice muffin!
Let’s get baking friends, this spiced apple cake recipe will be one of your favorites!
Spiced Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 large apple diced into chunks
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp salted butter divided
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 whole Pete and Gerry's Organic Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp powdered sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 crushed chocolate chip cookie for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x4 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a pan combine the apple, 1 tbsp butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until the apple starts to get soft. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cloves, pie spice and cinnamon.
- Using a standard mixer, beat the remaining 2 tbsp butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix, scraping down the bowl as you go.
- Slowly add the flour mixture gradually until the batter has formed. Add the apples to the batter and fold through with a spatula.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared baking tin and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Make the frosting by beating together the powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth.
- Spread the frosting over the cake once it’s cool. Slice and enjoy.
This is beautiful Gerry- not to mention probably SO delicious!
I’m slightly worried about my apple obsession this fall. I can’t stay out of the kitchen! Apples are everywhere! :) I’ve been trying to think up new things to do with apples and I LOVE the idea of Apple Spice Cake. Yours looks absolutely delicious!
This looks INCREDIBLE! Fall baking for the win!
I love the big chunks of apples in there. And of course that thick layer of frosting! Yay for Fall baking!
I love a good spiced apple cake and that cream cheese frosting looks like heaven! Fall baking is the best :)
This looks SO dreamy and so perfect for FALL!
the cream cheese frosting totally takes the “cake” haha. ;-)
That cream cheese frosting though!!!!