The classic Orange Chicken made in the slow cooker and served with fluffy brown rice on the side. Feed the family with this healthier version of the famous takeout!
I know, crispy battered orange chicken usually always tastes awesome.
I get that, but sometimes it’s okay to lighten up one of the most popular Chinese takeout meals on the planet ever!
What the heck is it with orange chicken? It’s so damn good, I love the tiny pieces you find at the end, the ones that turn out crispier than the big chunks. Those should be scooped up and sold by the bag!
Holy citrus, I want orange chicken right now.
But I’d definitely settle for this healthier version, cooked in the slow cooker and never having seen a splash of hot oil from start to finish. I made this with blood oranges, but you could switch them up for regular oranges and still be happy.
Because the magical slow cooker is doing all of the work, you can find something else to do. It’s Monday, are you writing all of the crap down that you need to conquer by Friday, or are you a day-by-day like me?
I live for my lists.
This recipe has all of the key ingredients that you might find in regular orange chicken with lots of orange juice from those blood oranges. Once the chicken has done its time, it should pull apart really easily. If it doesn’t, give it some extra minutes.
With me being a total spice head, I added dried red pepper flakes. I have to keep the rest of it on the mild side or the kids will roast me. I also love nuts on any Asian style dish I eat and toasted cashews were perfect!
Have a great week everyone and if you haven’t taken my survey yet, I would be forever grateful if you could. It’ll only take you a few minutes and it’s designed to help me see what you want from me.
Click on this link and it’ll take you right to the survey!
Slow Cooker Shredded Orange Chicken
- 3 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup blood orange juice regular oranges will work just as well
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 2 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- Add the orange juice, stock, rice vinegar, zest, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and brown sugar to your slow cooker and mix well.
- Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to HIGH and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add to the slow cooker. Mix through with a spatula.
- Replace the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes and the sauce has thickened up slightly.
- Shred the chicken in the slow cooker with two forks.
- Serve with brown rice and garnish with green onion, red pepper flakes and chopped cashew nuts (optional)