This super easy shrimp pesto pasta is a classic choice for any weeknight dinner! Just throw the ingredients in the baking dish and bake. Add the pasta and dinner is ready!
why you should make this shrimp pesto pasta
- It’s easy and quick. just combine the ingredients in the baking dish (you don’t even need to stir until after baking!) and add the pasta. Dinner is served!
- Shrimp and pesto are made for each other, the flavor combo along with melted Parmesan always makes this recipe a winner.
- Get your protein quota from the giant shrimp used.
- Making the sauce with Fontina cheese makes this a little more tasty than using a regular mozzarella cheese.
- Any leftovers taste just as good the next day.
You can, although my favorites are penne or ziti just because they seem to hold more sauce inside those tubes!
No, you can use shelf stable pesto from a jar easily enough also. The jars are usually smaller so you may need two.
I recommend putting the shrimp pesto pasta in a pan and adding some whole milk, about a half cup for every cup of pesto pasta. Cover and bring to a gentle simmer over low-medium heat for a few minutes. Stir and add more cheese if desired.
Kept sealed in a Tupperware, 2-3 days should be the maximum.
Any uncooked shrimp that are peeled and deveined will work. The size is up to you but I prefer 16-25, meaning you should get between 16-25 per pound.
more of my favorite pasta recipes
Shrimp Pesto Pasta
- 8 ounces ziti pasta, or penne
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 5 ounces Fontina cheese
- 5 ounces grated Parmesan
- 6 ounces fresh pesto sauce
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 375° F
- In a 9×13 baking dish add the shrimp and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the Fontina, Parmesan, pesto and cream.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- While the shrimp are cooking, cook the pasta as per the directions on the box. Drain and set aside.
- Once the shrimp pesto is fully cooked, add the cooked pasta and stir well until the pasta becomes thick and creamy.
- Serve with extra Parmesan and fresh basil.