I can’t believe it’s just over a week until Thanksgiving, followed closely by Christmas! After these next two pant-stretching months I might try to make a few resolutions in January…no promises though.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year, there’s not a dish I don’t like from the appetizers all the way to dessert. We all know how crazy the food choices can get but you can still sneak some decent vegetable choices onto the table. I was asked by Cut ‘N Clean Greens to come up with a Thanksgiving side dish using one of their super-healthy green vegetables. My contribution to the table was this Savory Rainbow Chard Bread Pudding, which I loved because bread pudding is always so versatile and doesn’t always have to be dessert. The rainbow chard worked perfectly in the dish with some shallots and crushed garlic.
Cut ‘N Clean Greens is one of three brands from San Miguel Produce, a third generation family farm from right here in Southern California. Unlike some other growers, San Miguel take care of everything from the minute the greens leave the dirt. They also process and ship their greens so they can assure everything is consistently fresh for the customer. 100,000 packages of greens are processed everyday through 33 farms and 1600 acres of land. That’s a lot of greens so sustainability is important to San Miguel, who also have their own on-site water treatment processing plant for the organic greens.
I ended up making a savory bread pudding because almost every Thanksgiving recipe is comfort themed, and bread pudding fits the criteria perfectly. I used croissants instead of regular bread which definitely enhanced the dish, even the texture seemed much lighter than a regular bread pudding. This is such an easy dish and made even easier because the rainbow chard is already cut and washed for you, all you have to do is flip open the clamshell and add it to the pan! This is a great side dish that would still tip the scales towards healthy, even with the cream and eggs in it.
San Miguel Produce has provided me with greens for recipe development. While I have been compensated for my time, my opinions are my own, and I have not been paid to post positive comments.
Savory Rainbow Chard Bread Pudding
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large container Cut 'N Clean Greens Organic Rainbow Chard 8oz
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 shallot halved and sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic. minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3 large croissants
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 inch wide by 2 inch deep pie dish or an 11 x 7 inch glass baking dish with the butter.
- In a bowl whisk together the milk, cream and eggs. Set aside.
- Pour the beef broth into a 3 qt sauté pan over a medium heat.
- Add the shallot, garlic and rainbow chard and cover. Cook for 5-10 minutes and the greens start to wilt. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Roughly tear the croissants in pieces and place in your prepared baking dish and cover with the wilted rainbow chard.
- Gently toss together making sure the croissant pieces get covered in the greens and broth mixture.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the top of the croissant giving it time to soak into the bread.
- Once all of the liquid has been added, gently press down on top of the bread pudding making sure that all of the croissants have been soaked.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes and the top is a light golden brown color.