It was 8:45 at night and two days before I was scheduled to leave on vacation, I should have probably been crossing other things off my ever growing to-do list. But I didn’t…I made brownies. That’s totally normal, right? This is my go to brownie recipe and works great for kitchen sink ideas like these potato chip brownies. I found it on Recipe Girl’s blog a while ago, and besides being super easy and almost a one pan mix, it tastes freaky brownie gooey good! This was a total raid the cupboard and see what I can add type of recipe. It already has a lot of chocolate in it so adding more chocolate chips didn’t rock my boat. I found some pretzels and then some salted caramel candies, score! I was on the last base and just had to add everything together. In fifteen minutes I had a pan of brownies making a run for the oven, and ten of those minutes were probably spent rummaging in my god-awful pantry, Is yours as disorganized as mine? Please tell me it is. The brownies turned out good for being made so lackadaisical and spur of the moment but I’d rather use pretzel sticks next time instead of pretzel crisps. Don’t worry too much about how your caramel gets divided up, I just pulled them apart and randomly dropped blobs of it all over the surface and through the mix. This recipe is so foolproof it’s almost impossible to screw up, trust me.
Caramel Pretzel Chocolate Brownies
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate bar chopped
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup caramel candies chopped into large cubes
- 1/4 cup crushed pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan with butter and line it with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa and salt and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Once melted add the chocolate bar and stir with a whisk until well combined. Next add the sugars and stir well. Let the mixture cool for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs and vanilla into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir gently until well combined.
- Mix in half of the caramels and half of the crushed pretzels.
- Pour the mixture into the baking tray and level with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the rest of the pretzels and caramel chunks over the surface.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting. Store in a sealed container.