A traditional creamy pumpkin pie with chocolate chips and baked in a flaky pie crust! Surprise everyone at Thanksgiving dinner, they won’t be disappointed!
I’ve always been a huge fan of pumpkin pie. Maybe it’s the spices or maybe it’s the creamy texture that goes so well with a huge dollop of vanilla spiked whipped cream on top. Whatever it is I think I found a new favorite, my pie has chocolate added to it!
Yup, chocolate, and not just a few chips thrown in for good measure, basically the whole pie crust base has giant chocolate chips sprinkled over it and they melt into the pie as it bakes. The end result is a super-creamy pie with a slight layer of melted chocolate on the bottom. Check out the best way to make this pumpkin pie with chocolate below!
CANNED PUMPKIN OR PUMPKIN PIE MIX?
Definitely just canned pumpkin. The difference is that the pie mix has already had the spices and sugar added and the regular pumpkin in a can is just that, straight pumpkin puree.
FROZEN PIE CRUST OR HOMEMADE?
This is more of a personal choice and either option will work. Time will be the only factor as you’ll have to make your own crust. Personally I usually opt for the frozen pie crust, there are some really good ones available now and the time I save is substantial!
What does pumpkin pie taste like? Pumpkin pie has a very unique flavor, somewhere between a thick pudding or custard consistency with a mild cinnamon taste. You can serve it as it is or with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Some people also like ice cream but make sure it’s soft!
How healthy is pumpkin pie? Pumpkin is loaded with fiber and potassium, vitamin c and iron. But we also added sugar, cream and eggs so it’s all about balance. Usually pumpkin pie is eaten around Thanksgiving when food choices are in abundance so moderation is key.
How should I store my pie? You should make your pie a day ahead if you can or at least the morning of when you plan to eat it. The pie will need some time to cool and properly firm up. Once its cool place it in the fridge with a layer of plastic wrap on the surface. Leftovers can be kept for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Which spices are best for my pie? You could just go with pumpkin pie spice but I love using the spices separately making sure that each flavor doesn’t get too lost in the mix. Cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves are my go-to’s but ginger, allspice and cardamom are other choices
Tips for making the best pumpkin pie
- Make the pie the night before you plan to serve it. This will give the pumpkin pie time to set properly and slice perfectly.
- Have all of the ingredients at room temperature before beginning.
- Use a quality baking sheet to place the pie on when you first place it in the oven. Too many times I've had pans buckle and the filling has leaked out because the pan isn't level .
- If your crust is browning too quickly, cut a ring of foil and place it over the edge of the crust to prevent burning.
- Add some flair to your whipped cream by adding vanilla bean paste or maple syrup. A splash of booze like whiskey or Bourbon works great too!