Juicy beef kebabs marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and orange juice. These kebabs are grilled on skewers with bell peppers and chunks of red onion.
Anything on a skewer is always a popular thing to grill in the summer. Besides these beef kebabs, there's many other choices for the grill like these pork tenderloin skewers or if you prefer seafood, my citrus marinated shrimp will go down well! But let's talk about these beef kebabs!
Marinating your meat for beef kebabs
Beef that has been soaked in a marinade will always taste better than plain meat, that's a fact. But the longer it marinates, the better the flavor will be, so if you can prepare the beef the night before you plan to eat the kebabs I would highly recommend it. Soy sauce is a great base to use in a marinade because of its high salt content and umami flavor. This helps to tenderize the meat.
I also like to add some sweet to the mix such as orange juice and a little honey. Be careful though, too much honey and the kebabs will burn really quickly. My other ingredients for this easy marinade are garlic, ginger and scallions. No salt is needed as the soy sauce has enough already in it. Combine all of these ingredients and mix well with your choice of meat and let everything marinate for as long as you can.
What cut of beef should I use?
If price isn't an issue, then you can buy any of your favorite steak cuts such as filet mignon, NY strip or ribeye and just cut them into large cubes. Ideally you want beef that can be cooked quickly and won't be tough or chewy. Beef cuts like chuck roast, brisket or stew meat won't work as they require long slow cooking to break down the fibers. I used top sirloin and cut it into thick strips and it was perfect.
Top tips for making great beef kebabs
- Marinade the meat for as long as possible.
- Slice the meat into big enough chunks or strips so that it won't fall or come loose from the skewer.
- I prefer metal skewers as opposed to wood which burn easily and have to be pre-soaked in water.
- Choose strong veggies like bell peppers, zucchini and red onion to add flavor between the meat.
- Sear the first side on the high heat spot of your grill and then turn them over and finish the cooking on an indirect heat.
- If you are adding a glaze or sauce to the kebabs, wait until the last minute. Most sauces contain a lot of sugar and it'll burn quickly making your beef kebabs burn.