Cajun pasta loaded with slices of andouille sausage cooked in a creamy, cheesy Bourbon pepper jack sauce with penne pasta added to make an easy one pan dinner for the whole family.
Making dinner and using only one pan is always a bonus! Less dishes to wash and less cooking to concentrate on make for an easy weeknight dinner. This Cajun pasta with andouille sausage, Bourbon, peppers and onions should be on a regular rotation. That's right, I did say Bourbon! The peppers, onions and spices are the base for this recipe and reducing them down with Bourbon not only adds amazing flavor, it also keeps in line with great southern ingredients.
Tips for making this tasty Cajun pasta
- You can make this recipe less spicy by substituting the pepper jack cheese fo sharp white cheddar.
- Make sure to reduce the Bourbon until all of the liquid is almost gone.
- To reheat any leftovers, add a splash of milk to the pan and warm the pasta over a low heat stirring until the sauce becomes creamy again.
- You can use any Creole seasoning but one of my favorites is Tony Chachere's.
- This recipe will feed four people.
FAQ's about making this recipe
Can I use half and half instead of cream? No, heavy cream has a higher butterfat content which will thicken the sauce properly.
Can I reheat my pasta in the microwave? You can but the sauce may split because of the intense heat. It's best to add some milk to a pan with the pasta and heat over a low heat until creamy again.
What if I don't like andouille sausage? That's okay, you could easily use shrimp, scallops, chicken or pork.
Can I freeze this Cajun pasta? You can freeze it for up to one month in a sealed Tupperware or other plastic container.