A healthy superfood Quinoa Feta Salad packed with garbanzo beans, roasted peppers, onion and feta cheese. Add some grilled chicken or shrimp for the ultimate healthy salad!
Yesterday was a whirlwind day of unintentional phallic Bloody Mary drinks (check my Instagram feed if you’re wondering), lots of searching for sea animals at the beach and eating lobster truffle mac n’ cheese! So it seems appropriate to start a new week with a healthy salad, just like this Quinoa Salad with Feta Cheese!
How to make this easy quinoa feta salad.
Quinoa which has been around for thousands of years is now classed as a superfood. It’s packed with protein and low in fat and calories so it’s pretty much the perfect grain to use for healthy side dishes and salads or even soups!
It’s no secret that I really like grain salads and most of them on my blog are results of fridge clean ups believe it or not. There’s not many ways to screw things up using some simple veggies, a little cheese, and some olive oil and lemon or balsamic. This salad is packed with fresh tasting ingredients and loaded with protein, but if you feel like adding some grilled chicken or shrimp, I wouldn’t stop you!
Why should I use quinoa?
There are many different forms of quinoa though they all have pretty much the same nutritional content. Flavor is the easiest way to tell the difference. Paler colors of quinoa will have less flavor than the darker versions. I used white quinoa which tastes great but you can use any color you like.
It’s an excellent filler grain for salads and power bowls and can easily be made a few days ahead of time. It’s a great idea to make a big pot at the beginning of the week and use it for multiple lunches and dinners!
Fresh cilantro, roasted peppers, garbanzo beans are all tossed with the quinoa feta and a garlic and lemon dressing. Super easy, healthy, tasty and less waste in your fridge!
This is one of my favorite summer recipes and I always make it for pot luck parties. Everyone loves it and I always end up being asked for the recipe!
Best salad ever!
Here are some of my other favorite quinoa salad recipes!
Healthy Quinoa Salad with Feta Cheese and Mixed Vegetables
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 14 ounces garbanzo beans drained
- 1/2 cup red roasted peppers sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup yellow roasted peppers sliced into thin strips
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
For The Dressing
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp fred wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Place the quinoa and water in a pot and cook according to the instructions on the pack, about 15 minutes. Let cool in the fridge.
- Make the dressing while the quinoa is cooling.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor except for the oil.
- Pulse on high speed until well mixed.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil with the machine on high and blend until the dressing starts to emulsify. Set aside.
- Once the quinoa is cool, transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the garbanzo beans, peppers, onion, cilantro and feta.
- Gently toss together then start to add the dressing.
- Once the dressing has been added toss again and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Add some more cilantro or feta to garnish.Serve at once or keep in the fridge until ready to use.