Loaded with juicy chicken and fresh veggies, this one pan chicken fajitas recipe is prefect for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner. A tasty blender fajita sauce is the secret for irresistible Tex-Mex flavor. The best part—everything roasts up in one pan!
This one pan chicken fajitas recipe is on rotation at our house. I set out a bunch of toppings and the kids love to customize with their favorites. I love the idea of dumping everything on a baking sheet, roasting for 20 minutes and dinner is done.
INGREDIENTS FOR THIS ONE PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE
- Chicken– Lean chicken breasts cut up into cubes.
- Bell peppers– I use a mix of sliced yellow and red bell peppers.
- Onion– Sliced onion
- Adobo Chili– Adobo chilis come in a can. You can find them in the Mexican or Hispanic section of your grocery store. The chilis are jalapeños that have been smoked and dried, then rehydrated and canned in a purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and other spices.
- Garlic– Use fresh garlic cloves, not the pre-minced jarred version (it’s got a bitter flavor).
- Oregano– This recipe calls for dried oregano.
- Cumin– This recipe calls for dried cumin, found in the spice aisle of your grocery store.
- Apple Cider Vinegar– A pantry staple.
- Chicken stock– Choose a free-range or organic chicken stock. Don’t skimp, a good stock gives this dish more depth of flavor.
- Tortillas– I serve fajitas with flour tortillas, but you can sub in corn if you prefer.
HOW TO MY MAKE ONE PAN CHICKEN FAJITAS RECIPE
1. Slice the veggies and dice the chicken.
2. In a blender, combine the adobo chili, garlic, oregano, cumin, apple cider vinegar and chicken stock and blend into a fine sauce.
3. Toss the chicken and veggies in the blended fajita sauce.
4. Place the chicken and veggies on a rimmed baking sheet, arranged in an even layer.
5. Bake in a 400°F oven until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
6. Serve in warmed tortillas.
TOPPINGS FOR FAJITAS
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced jalapenos
- Lime wedges
- Hot sauce
- Sliced black olives
DO I NEED TO LINE THE PAN?
If you want to line the pan with foil or parchment paper, it makes clean up easier, but isn’t totally necessary.
MAKE AHEAD FAJITAS
Slice the vegetables and store them in a resealable bag or airtight container in the fridge until ready to bake. Dice the chicken and place in a separate resealable bag or airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 2 days until ready to bake. You can also make the fajita seasoning up to several days in advance and store that in a resealable bag in the fridge.
FREEZING UNCOOKED FAJITAS
Slice the vegetables and dice the raw chicken, then toss with the fajita sauce. Place all of this in a resealable freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to bake, arrange on sheet pan and bake as instructed.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Let the fajitas cool and pack the fajitas (the chicken and veggies, minus the tortillas) into containers with airtight lids. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
HOW TO REHEAT LEFTOVERS
To reheat in the microwave, microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
For the stovetop, spray a skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Put the leftovers in the skillet and heat on medium heat until heated through.
HOW TO FREEZE LEFTOVERS
To freeze leftovers, pack the cooled fajitas (the chicken and veggies, minus the tortillas) in a container with an airtight lid and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat as instructed above.
More easy one pan recipes you’ll love!
- One Pan Sausage and Peppers
- One Pan Mustard Glazed Salmon
- One Pan Black Pepper Steak Dinner
- Cajun Shrimp One Pan Dinner
One Pan Chicken Fajitas
- 1-2 adobo chili's
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce fro the chili's
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2-2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- Tortillas for serving
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a blender combine the chili, chili sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, vinegar and stock.
- Blend on high for 20-30 seconds
- Dice the chicken into cubes about 1 inch square or thin slices and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the onion and peppers to the chicken and then add the sauce.
- Toss well to coat everything and then dump all of teh contents onto your sheet pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mnutes mixing the chicken up halfway through cooking.
- Serve with charred tortillas, rice and garnish with heaps of fresh cilantro.