If you haven’t heard about the biggest and most amazing cookie swap on the planet, then you need to keep reading! For the past three years I’ve been baking cookies and sending them to people I don’t know.
I know, it does sound a tiny bit strange but I promise you it’s totally legit! The cookie swap was dreamed up one crazy night- maybe wine induced- by Julie from The Little Kitchen and Lindsay from Love and Olive Oil. Here’s the quick scoop on how the swap works. Julie and Lindsay will send you the names of three other bloggers. All you have to do is bake some cookies and ship them to your three new blog buddies. But the cool part is, they don’t know they’re coming. While your taking care of business on your end, someone else is baking cookies for you. It’s a giant circle of cookie love!
I was lucky enough to receive my cookies on time and wrapped up very carefully. I was also pretty happy to find that all three of my packages were chocolate cookies. Peppermint chocolate from Jenn at The Rebel Chick, Italian chocolate cookies from Crew Cuisine and chocolate crinkle cookies from Danita at O Taste and See. Thank you guys, they didn’t last long! For my cookie receivers, I made some molasses cookies which are perfect for around this time of the year. Soft and chewy in the middle with a crisp edge they’re a favorite of mine. I packed them into cookie tins and sent them off to be eaten.
The cookie swap isn’t all just about eating cookies. A well deserved charity benefits from the donation sign up fee that each blogger submits. The charity this year was Cookies For Kids Cancer. That fee was matched by our generous sponsors, OXO, Dixie Crystals, Gold Medal Flour and Grandma’s Molasses. Between them and the cookie makers, we helped push the grand total of money raised to over $13,000! Such an amazing result born from an idea about swapping cookies and great news for Cookies for Kids. More Molasses Cookies to choose from!
More molasses cookies to choose from!
Cooking Ala Mel- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Vegan Richa- GF Molasses Ginger Cookies
Cassies Kitchen- Bourbon Molasses Cookies
Soft and Chewy Molasses Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose Gold Medal flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter soft
- 1 cup dark brown Dixie Crystals sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1/3 cup Grandma's Molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar for rolling the cookies in
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a cookie tray by lining with a Silpat mat or line with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices and set aside.
- In a bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil, molasses, beaten egg and vanilla and combine well on low speed.
- Next add the flour mixture and mix until the dough comes together.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough into small balls about an inch in size and then roll in the granulated sugar.
- Place them onto the cookie tray and gently pat down leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes and place on a cooling rack when done.