Some recipes just shouldn’t be compromised, like making french toast with regular white bread. That’s why I have no issue driving all over town looking for brioche. This might make me seem a little crazy but for something loaded with butter and eggs, this is my rationale for the extra miles.
I know I’ll eventually find some but it might mean paying a visit to 3 or 4 stores…what the heck! Brioche should be everywhere because it’s light texture and buttery flavor makes everything taste sooo much better. Brioche buns are the perfect home for a sauced up burger and slices of brioche make the best bread pudding or in this case, french toast!
The future is bright my friends because it looks like we may be seeing more brioche available thanks to Brioche Pasquier, a traditional and authentic french bakery. Sold in thick slices you can choose from traditional or chocolate chip, and they even have individually wrapped lunch box sizes. Brioche Pasquier are also keeping things on the level by leaving out trans fats, GMO’s and preservatives, just tasty authentic brioche to help save me from driving all over town!
This french toast recipe uses Brioche Pasquier plain Brioche Tressee and the whole stack is cemented together with a sweet mascarpone cheese and thick berry compote. The brioche is dipped in a mixture of cream, milk and eggs and then sautéed in a pan until it turns golden brown. Spread some mascarpone filling on each slice, drop a spoonful (or two) of berries on top and repeat until you reach the top layer. Dust the whole thing with powdered sugar and be done!
You can win 1 full year of free brioche from Brioche Pasquier! All you have to do is leave a comment and tell me what you would make with all of that buttery brioche. Open to U.S residents only.
Take a look at these other brioche french toast recipes!
The Heritage Cook- Chocolate Chip French Toast
Steamy Kitchen- Bananas Foster French Toast
Leite’s Culinaria- Deep Dish French Toast
This post was sponsored by Brioche Pasquier. Compensation was provided and all thoughts and opinions are my own!
Mixed Berry Mascarpone French Toast
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter plus extra for cooking the bread.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 6 slices thick of Brioche Tressee
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- In a small pan, heat the berries, 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp sugar over a medium heat.
- Let simmer for for about 3 minutes and the mixture becomes a little thicker.
- Transfer the mascarpone to a bowl and add the honey and whisk until the honey is mixed through.
- Whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cardamom.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and place an oven-safe dish onto the top rack.
- In another non stick pan, melt about 1 tbsp butter until hot.
- Dip one slice of the brioche into the cream mixture making sure to fully submerge it.
- Shake off the excess and add it to the pan.
- Cook over a medium heat until it starts to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Flip it over and repeat with the other side.
- Transfer the brioche to a the dish in the oven to stay warm and repeat with the rest of the bread *see notes*
- Once all of the brioche has been cooked, lay a slice on your plate.
- Spread some of the mascarpone cheese on it and then add a spoonful of the berry mixture.
- Add another slice of brioche on top and repeat until you have the french toast three high.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve at once.