This light and fluffy mixed Berry and Cream Sponge Cake is layered with jam, heavy whipping cream and fresh berries. If you need a simple no fuss cake, then this is the recipe.
I started baking at 17 years old, in a local bakery with a stone floor and where every kind of pastry was made from scratch. I learned from older bakers in their sixties and seventies who have since passed on and probably taken some 0f their trade secrets with them. I appreciate the time they took to put up with my young eye rolling teenage self.
But I never quite mastered cake decorating. There were only one or two people who took care of it, the trusted few and only sometimes would they take a newbie under their wing.
Lately though I’ve had a yearning for cake, maybe it’s been the summer weather or the fact that this Mixed Berry and Cream Sponge Cake is so simple to make. It falls under the “rustic” category for me, like crusty galette’s or naked cakes. Baking like this takes the pressure away from trying to end up with a cake that looks like Duff Goldman stopped by your kitchen.
You have exactly two weeks to make this cream sponge cake before pumpkin-mania sweeps the country. This summery berry cake isn’t going to stand a chance, but that’s okay because you can bookmark it for next year.
Start with a thin layer of your favorite jam and spread it on the bottom cake. Add some heavy whipped cream and then pile on the fresh berries.
I like to use my hands as much as I can while I’m cooking, but if touching wet berries freaks you out then a big spoon will be your best friend.
Repeat the process and then dust heavily with powdered sugar.
Cut a big slice and give yourself a high five for making it to Friday with a homemade cake.
Have an awesome weekend!
Mixed Berry and Cream Sponge Cake
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
For The Filling
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 6 oz blueberries
- 6 oz blackberries
- 6 oz raspberries
- 4 tablespoons divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 cup berry jam
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for garnishing.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan with butter and line with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in an electric mixer at high speed until it doubles in volume and is very light.
- Fold in the flour with a spatula gently so as to not deflate the batter.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake int he oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Let the sponges cool before taking out of the pans.
- In a bowl combine the strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries.
- Add two tablespoons of sugar and the rosemary to the berries and lightly toss to combine.
- Place the heavy cream into the bowl of the stand mixer and add the remaining two tablespoons of sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Beat with a whisk until soft but firm enough o spread.
- Take one of the cakes and spread some of the jam on to it.
- Add about half of the heavy cream and spread towards the edges of the cake.
- Place half of the berries into the center of the cream.
- Place the other sponge cake on top and press down to ensure it's level.
- Repeat the process with the jam then cream and then the remaining berries on top.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.