Juicy Lamb Loin Chops cooked on the grill and basted with mint pesto!
This post is sponsored by the American Lamb Board. All thoughts are my own.
Who’s excited about tailgating season? It’s almost time to start grilling like a boss before your favorite game, maybe in a parking lot or even at home! But if you feel like summer has kinda wiped you out on burgers and hot dogs, I think you should cook some lamb for your buddies! You’ll blow some minds for sure.
Can you imagine being the guy who’s throwing down frozen beef patties next to you, and looking over wondering what the epic smell is? That’s when you casually tell him you’re just grilling some easy lamb loin chops and finishing them off with a simple mint pesto.
I feel bad for that guy. That guy needs to buy some lamb!
Lamb is definitely a great choice for the grill. It’s well marbled for maximum flavor, cooks pretty fast if you like it super rare like me and you can buy American raised lamb here in the U.S. so you know you’re getting the best and freshest cuts of meat. American lamb doesn’t have to endure a long journey to end up on your plate like imported lamb from Australia or New Zealand.
Lamb has an awesome flavor just as it is, so you don’t need to add much to it. Some of my favorite ways to cook it are always with fresh herbs like these Meatball Skewers or my Lamb Shepherd’s Pie. These loin chops are seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled and then brushed with mint pesto. Lamb and mint are amazing together and the garlicky pesto just takes them over the edge!
I paired my lamb loin chops with an easy rice and tzatziki style salad with garbanzo and black beans, but use whatever you like because nobody will be asking you about the side dish…only the lamb!
Lamb Loin Chops with Mint Pesto
- 9 American Raised Lamb Loin Chops
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 2 whole garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your grill to a high heat.
- In a food processor, combine the basil, mint, garlic and pine nuts. Pulse until smooth.
- With the machine running, slowly pour in the olive oil until smooth.
- Add the grated Parmesan by hand and mix through the pesto with a spatula.
- Season each loin chop with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the lamb loin chops onto the grill and sear for 3-4 minutes then turn them over and move them to an indirect heat. Cook until 135 internal temperature for medium rare.
- Once the lamb is done transfer them to a baking tray and let rest for 2 minutes.
- Brush the pesto generously onto the surface of each loin chop.
- Serve at once with a side salad.