I don’t make too many recipes that include sweets stuffed inside other sweets. I probably should because they seem to do really well on Pinterest and they always look so damn good. I couldn’t pass this one up as weird as it sounds and looks, a dozen Krispy Kreme mini donuts baked on top of some amazing chocolate brownies. This was fun to make and a true experiment.
Guys, I wasn’t sure about this. The idea blew up in my mind and I really wanted to try it, but I didn’t know how donuts would react in the oven. They stayed prettier than I thought they would, the frosting got a little melty and the sprinkles a tiny bit more colorful but the taste was still there and then some. The donuts fused with the brownie mix but still left a rich layer of chocolate goo, and stayed true to their name, becoming a smidge crispy.
This is a decadent treat and I was yelling surrender after a half-sized brownie, but just cut them smaller and I promise you’ll get some gasps when you take these to the office, or wherever you conduct your business. The chocolate brownie is a good enough reason to make these, it’s really rich and easily halved to fit into an 8×8 brownie pan. Do something irresponsible this weekend and make donut chocolate brownies!
Krispy Kreme Chocolate Brownies
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Hershey cocoa powder
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 2 sticks unsalted butter 8 ozs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 12 mini Krispy Kreme donuts I used chocolate but you could use any other variety
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a 13x9 inch baking pan and set aside
- Mix the flour and the cocoa powder in a large bowl and set aside..
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan
- Once the butter has melted, add the chocolate and heat stirring until fully melted.
- Add both kinds of sugars and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the eggs two at a time whisking well after each addition.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Add the chocolate batter to the flour mixture and mix with a wooden spoon until there are no visible lumps.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Place the donuts on top of the batter in a 4x3 pattern and gently push down until the donuts are halfway in the batter.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Let cool for at least one hour before slicing with a sharp knife.