Loaded with flavor, this Instant Pot chicken orzo is the perfect weeknight meal. The dish cooks up quickly in your Instant Pot, delivering a delicious dinner that your whole family will love.
I’m in cozy dinner mode and this Instant Pot orzo chicken is the perfect warming dish for this time of year. It’s got amazing flavor from white wine and herbs, and sour cream comes in at the end to add in some creaminess. The best part is that it all cooks up in the Instant Pot, so there’s less dirty dishes to clean. I’m really coming around to the Instant Pot, and this easy and delicious recipe is just one more reason to love it.
- Oil- I use good quality canola oil.
- Chicken- Lean chicken breasts cut up into cubes.
- Oregano- I use dried oregano, but you can use fresh if you have it around, just toss more in.
- Tarragon- I use dried tarragon this time of year, but you can use fresh, just add more in.
- Garlic- Use fresh garlic cloves or minced will do.sss
- White wine- Two whites to consider: Rodney Strong Chardonnay 2016 (A Full-bodied white wine from California) or Rodney Strong Sauvignon Blanc 2017 (A dry, lean, crisp white wine from California). Pour yourself a glass while you’re cooking.
- Chicken stock- Choose a free-range or organic chicken stock. Don’t skimp, a good stock gives this dish more depth of flavor.
- Orzo- Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta made with durum wheat, and you can find it in the pasta aisle of your grocery store.
- Red pepper- Cut thin strips into bite-sized pieces.
- Sour cream- Make sure to use full fat sour cream.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN ORZO
1. Saute the olive oil and cubed chicken until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Sautéing caramelizes the outside of the chicken and brings out extra flavor.
2. Add in the rest of the ingredients, omitting the sour cream.
3. Put the top on the Instant Pot and set the control to manual, adding 6 minutes of cooking time.
4. Release the pressure manually and remove the lid.
5. Stir in the sour cream and serve.
HOW AM I ABLE TO TELL WHEN MY CHICKEN IS FULLY COOKED?
After releasing the pressure and taking the lid from the Instant Pot, scoop one of the chunks of chicken from the pot and tear it in half with a fork. If it breaks up easily then your chicken with orzo is ready!
WHAT CAN I SERVE THIS CHICKEN ORZO WITH?
Since chicken is the protein, red peppers are the veggie, and orzo is the carb, this is already a complete dinner. You can serve a green salad on the side and even set out a crusty baguette too.
Take a look at these other Instant Pot meals, I think you’ll love them!
Instant Pot Chicken and Orzo
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/2-2 pounds chicken breast, diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Set your Instant Pot to the saute setting.
- Add the oil, chicken, oregano, tarragon, garlic and pepper and stir for about a minute.
- Add the wine, stock, orzo and diced pepper and stir to combine well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to seal.
- Using the high pressure setting, set to cook for 6 minutes.
- After the time has ended, release the pressure and stir the chicken.
- Add the sour cream to the pot and gently fold through the orzo
- Serve at once.