Plumbing. Seized faucets. Wrong tools and a few trips to the store has been the story of my weekend. I have a huge respect for plumbers who have to be some of the worlds best contortionists and be able to fit into tiny spaces to do their jobs, another story for another day. But I still managed to set aside some time to make these crazy-tasty healthy kale and portobello veggie burger.
This recipe is actually a remake of an earlier kale burger from 2011. I changed a few ingredients and I like this one much better, probably because of the meaty portobello mushroom. The first version was a lot more moist and I think the mushroom helps to soak up that shredded kale. It certainly doesn’t look like the most photographic burger I’ve ever made but remember it’s dark green for a reason. Packed with a whole giant bunch of kale, this recipe will yield 4 decent sized patties. Once you pan fry it, the top and bottom become nice and crusty with the middle remaining super-moist.
You can totally suit yourself with this burger. I skipped the cheese and spread some artichoke dip on the bottom bun. I’m against lettuce on any of my burgers so I added a bunch of sprouts. They pack way more flavor than a leaf of iceberg and are better for you.
If you’re looking for a new veggie burger recipe, this could be it…
Healthy Kale and Portobello Veggie BurgerPrint
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1 large tomato
- 1 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 Hamburger buns
- Choice of preferred toppings- see notes
- Extra flour to prevent the patties sticking to your hands
- Rinse the kale leaves under cold water.
- Cut the vein from each leaf and discard. Roughly chop the rest of the leaves and transfer to a medium sized bowl.
- Sprinkle the kale with the sea salt and massage it through all of the chopped kale.
- Slice the tomato into wedges cutting out the seeds. Place the tomato into a food processor.
- Add the portobello mushroom, cumin, almond butter, garlic, paprika and black pepper.
- Pulse on low speed until smooth and well combined.
- Add the flour and gently mix again.
- Transfer the mixture back into the bowl that the kale was resting in.
- Add the breadcrumbs and fold through with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture into 4, forming each one into a patty shape with your hands. Be sure to use some extra flour to dust your hands and prevent it getting too sticky. If it does, wash your hands.
- Place each burger onto a cookie tray which has been dusted lightly with flour.
- Heat the canola oil in a non stick pan over a medium-low heat. Place the burgers into the hot pan and cook on one side for about 3-4 minutes and the burger has formed a nice dark crust.
- Turn over the burgers and repeat on the other side.
- Place each burger onto the hamburger buns and dress with your choice of toppings.
You can add any choice of topping to your kale burger. Cheese, avocado, grilled onions, goat cheese are all great choices...it's totally up to you.
From Veggie Grettie, http://veggiegrettie.com/