Is it just me who loves cooking with skewers? There’s something weirdly primal about it and I’m all about trying to fit a small meal onto a single skewer. That’s why you’re looking at these Grilled Shrimp Skewers and hopefully wiping tiny drops of drool from your chin. Totally acceptable, even on a date.
As gross as that sounds, the drooling not the date, let’s get back to the primal thing I mentioned. Things on skewers demand to be pulled apart by your fingers, as long as they’ve had some time to cool down a little. Trust me these things get poker hot! My fingerprint-less paws have had way too many burns over the years.
I prefer using metal skewers rather than wooden ones, just because no matter how long I soak them in water they still end up burning. Tell me everybody else is having this issue, wouldn’t using metal skewers every time make for happy trees?
This recipe is so simple, mix the marinade and then toss your shrimp in it. Let them soak up all of that flavor and longer means better.
Make sure you get hard chorizo sausage and not the squishy ground stuff you might use in Huevos Rancheros. It looks like salami but more of a red color.
Red onion and orange bell pepper chunks for some more Mediterranean inspiration and a light brush with some olive oil.
Serve these grilled shrimp skewers with brown rice and if you have any chorizo left, chop it up and sauté it for five minutes. It’ll become crispy and chewy and tastes awesome mixed through the rice with extra cilantro.
I can see you summer, just hurry up already!
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Spanish Chorizo
- 1 pound large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large red onion
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 inches Spanish chorizo sausage about 6-8 long, save a few square chunks for the end of the skewer.
- In a bowl combine the shrimp, garlic, paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, lemon juice, olive oil and cilantro.
- Mix well and let marinade for at least an hour in the fridge or overnight covered.
- Peel the onion and slice it into 4 pieces making sure to get some god sized chunks to add to the skewer.
- Cut the pepper into chunks also.
- Cut the chorizo into good sized slices.
- Take a skewer and push a chunk of red onion all the way to the bottom almost.
- Next add a piece of chorizo followed by a shrimp and then a piece of pepper.
- Repeat the system until you're almost at the top of the skewer where you'll end with a chunk of chorizo.
- Preheat your grill to a high heat and place the skewers on to the surface.
- Grill on one side for about 3 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink and the vegetables start to get slightly charred.
- Turn each skewer over and repeat.
- Serve at once with some rice or salad.