This post is sponsored by ALDI USA
These amazing grilled scallops are combined with fresh zucchini and chunks of red onion and are perfect for a sunny Father’s Day weekend! Serve them with a tasty side salad and a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc!
Father’s Day is always a special day for me. It’s the only day where I get to feel like a king and do the things that I want to do. It usually starts off with breakfast in bed, followed by some kind of activity later in the day like a bike ride, hike or just a simple walk along the beach. Father’s Day for me is all about relaxing and being as stress-free as possible. I don’t need expensive gifts or fancy plans, just relaxing with the family is where I find the most fun.
Dinner is usually my choice, too, and even with so many great restaurants to take out from, I still prefer grilling at home. Scallops have always been a favorite of mine, especially jumbo scallops. Usually you’ll always see them on the menu as pan-seared scallops, but grilling them is a great way to take them outside and enjoy the weather. They cook fast and don’t take much work, but the taste after being on the grill is amazing!
I created my perfect Father’s Day meal with ALDI. These grilled scallops are also skewered with chunks of zucchini and red onion, lightly brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. They’re all natural and wild caught with an MSC certified sustainable certificate and taste so sweet and fresh that not a lot of seasoning is needed. You can find them in the frozen section of your local ALDI and can be easily thawed out in the fridge overnight.
What Can I Serve My Grilled Scallops With?
A simple chopped side salad and grilled asparagus is perfect. You can grill the asparagus first, which only takes a few minutes, then add the scallop kebabs to the grill. Father’s Day dinner can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
What Wine Goes Well With Grilled Scallops?
ALDI Exquisite Collection is an affordable line of wine that comes highly rated from many wine reviews. The Sauvignon Blanc is from New Zealand and pairs perfectly with the grilled scallops. Dad will not mind letting someone else do the grilling while he sits back with a glass, I can guarantee!
Can I Make The Kebabs Ahead Of Time?
You can prepare them ahead of time and just have them ready to place on the grill. Scallops are meant to be eaten straight after they finish cooking though so don’t start grilling until you are ready to eat.
How To Grill Your Fresh ALDI Asparagus
Trim about an inch from the ends of the asparagus. This part is tough and fibrous so it won’t be missed. Lay them on a sheet pan and lightly drizzle with olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper and grill for 3-4 minutes until the tips just start to char. Let them rest while you cook the scallops.
Grilled Scallop Kebabs with Zucchini and Red Onion
- 2 12oz packs of Specially Selected Jumbo Scallops, thawed
- 1 package of zucchini green squash
- red onion
- 1 pound green asparagus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 bag sunflower chopped salad kit
- 1 container organic Simply Nature Organic Mixed Greens
- Preheat the grill until very hot
- Slice the zucchini into 1 inch circles
- Peel and cut the onion into thick chunks
- Take a wooden (or metal) skewer and place a red onion chunk all the way to the bottom of the skewer.
- Repeat with a zucchini circle followed by a scallop
- Repeat the process until the skewer has been filled all the way to the top
- Set aside and season with salt and black pepper
- Trim the asparagus and lay flat on a sheet pan
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper
- Place the asparagus onto the hot grill and using tongs, move them so they are all laying flat
- Grill for 3-4 minutes until they just begin to char and then transfer to a plate
- Place the scallop skewers onto the grill and grill for about 3 minutes
- Turn the skewers over and grill for another 2-3 minutes
- Transfer to a plate to rest while you make the salad
- Place a large handful of the mixed greens onto a large platter and top with the grilled asparagus, garnish with sliced almonds if desired
- Mix the chopped salad with the dressing and serve on a plate with a scallop skewer
- Serve at once with a glass of the Sauvignon Blanc
nice, have never made scallops as a kabob, good thinking and thank you for the recipe!