This easy BBQ sandwich is loaded with chopped American lamb, tangy coleslaw and a sweet and spicy apple BBQ sauce.
This post was sponsored by the American Lamb Board. All opinions expressed are solely my own.
Anytime I end up eating a BBQ sandwich it’s usually made with a piece of meat that’s taken hours to cook. But what about all of those times in life where you just need a quick and tasty BBQ fix? That’s when you add American Lamb to the menu because these shoulder chops cook quickly and are still super juicy after 15 minutes on a hot grill!
Once the chops are cooked, medium for me is perfect, I took all of the meat from the bone and roughly chopped it up into small pieces. My homemade apple BBQ sauce is perfect for adding to the chopped lamb, and the final part of this epic sandwich is a tangy buttermilk coleslaw.
American lamb has such a unique flavor and taste that you’ll wonder why you haven’t been grilling it all summer! The shoulder lamb chops contain a little fat which helps keep the meat juicy. Lamb is so easy to cook and can be grilled, roasted, cooked in the slow cooker or Instant Pot and even smoked in a smoker to produce a crispy style skin with tender meat on the inside.
Lamb is also really economical when you need it to be or, when the holidays come around you can spend a little extra and make your holiday dinner extra special. A rack of lamb or a roast is perfect for feeding a crowd. Paired with the fact that American lamb is produced locally by farmers here in the United States, you can be happy that you’re helping farmers produce some of the tastiest meat you can buy.
Making these epic lamb sandwiches begin with simply grilling the chops. All I add is some olive oil, salt and black pepper. I don’t want to lose that amazing lamb flavor! Sear the chops on a high heat grill until you get some nice crispy parts and some great grill marks. Once it’s done, take it from the grill and let it rest so it can retain all of the juice.
My homemade apple BBQ sauce is so good that you’ll probably make this time and time again and might never buy a jar of sauce again and the coleslaw is the perfect topping of tangy to balance out the sweetness from the BBQ sauce. That’s all this sandwich needs! Deve on soft brioche buns which always hold up better than regular hamburger buns.
So, are you an adventurous eater that likes to try new flavors? Lamb is perfect for you if you are, and The American Lamb Board is generously giving away a $500 gift card to either Lululemon, Target or REI depending on your adventurous side. You can enter by clicking on this link! Good luck!!
Grilled Lamb BBQ Sandwich
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cola
- 1/2 tsp back pepper
- 1 cup grated peeled apple
- 4 American Lamb shoulder chops
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 small bag of coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 4 brioche buns
- In a small pot combine the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, Cola, salt, pepper and grated apple.
- Bring to a simmer stirring every so often.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Rub the chops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Place the chops on the grill and cook for about 6-7 minutes per side
- Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with foil
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, white wine vinegar, poppy seeds, salt and pepper
- Add about 4 cups of the coleslaw to a bowl and then add some of the dressing mixing as you do it.
- Cut the meat from the chops discarding any large fatty pieces and then roughly chop up the meat into small pieces.
- Divide the meat among the four buns and top with some sauce and coleslaw. Serve at once.
Great recipe! I also added some french fries. I made it last night and my family loved it!